2 Zone Stereo Amplifier

Hi all,

I am trying to set up 2 zones at my house:

Now all I have to do is find an amplifier capable of feeding all of the above.

My requirements (I think) are:

• 80W into Zone 1- I plan wire the 4 Yamahas in a "series/parallel combo", to maintain 8 ohms. Using the "20W Nominal Input" for these speakers, this means Zone 1 should have around 80W.
  • Separate Zone 2 Controls
  • Pre/Sub out (optional) â€“ Not strictly required, but I think I will end up adding a subwoofer to Zone 1, so would be handy.
  • Under $600 â€“ As always, happy to spend slightly more, but only if I am getting something for the dosh :). I feel like this should be fairly cheap!

My shortlist so far is:

• Yamaha R-S201
  • Yamaha RX-S600
  • Harmon Kardon HK 3700
  • Yamaha RX-V677
  • Sherwood RX5502
  • Pioneer SX20

Just after some recommendations, or tips. Mainly around the proposed Zone 1 setup, and which amps could actually drive 4 speakers off one channel :)

What do you intend to listen to? Music, HT, sport?

I'm not familiar with your speakers but running them down the centre of that massive room sounds like more of a PA system. (I'm pretty much a 2 channel guy and prefer speakers on the ground but I'm sure you have a method to your proposed setup[emoji3])

I had a similar need - 2 zones: one inside feeding a 2 channel set up and two outside pairs of speakers for the second zone.

Addressed it by taking the digital feed from my sonos and cdp to the digital inputs on my inside amp and took the analog signals from the sonos and cdp to an old denon avr3000 and had the each pair of outdoor speakers hooked up to the a and b speaker terminals- meant each zone was more or less independent.

There are much more clued up people here than me - but that's how I've handled a similar need.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks clappy,

My preference would be one (or even two) sets of stereo at either end of the long room, but there really isn't any space. The "room" is really three equal size rooms - a kitchen, a sitting and dining room - all open plan. One end is a kitchen full of cupboards covering the walls, and the other is a large sliding door, with nearly no wall space.

I am tossing up getting a single set of floor standers to sit in the middle of the long room (in the sitting room).

Do you think this would "fill" the room better than lots of ceiling speakers?

My other concern is the low ceilings (2.4m), which I don't think ceiling speakers would work too well in :(

That is one tough room!

Assuming this is for listening to music I would go for a pair of speakers towards the end and across the width of the room at each end - either ceiling or floor/ standmount .

Another option could be something like sonos - either play ones or play threes paired at each end of the room - very clever product that will give you heaps of options - might be a really good solution!

If you went the floor stander option in the middle of the room would there be any furniture in front of it? If not then I don't think it would deliver much benefit over your other options - some other SNA'ers might have some better ideas though.

I've got a 2 channel set up in my lounge with a Sonos connect and have a couple of play 1's in an adjoining room so I am biased towards Sonos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks clappy,

My preference would be one (or even two) sets of stereo at either end of the long room, but there really isn't any space. The "room" is really three equal size rooms - a kitchen, a sitting and dining room - all open plan. One end is a kitchen full of cupboards covering the walls, and the other is a large sliding door, with nearly no wall space.

I am tossing up getting a single set of floor standers to sit in the middle of the long room (in the sitting room).

Do you think this would "fill" the room better than lots of ceiling speakers?

My other concern is the low ceilings (2.4m), which I don't think ceiling speakers would work too well in :(

Ceiling speakers can work well, even with the low ceiling height. You just have to use more of them to provide decent coverage. Professional brands such as JBL and Tannoy have programs that will calculate the number of speakers and the spacing over the ceiling. The smoother the coverage the more speakers you need.

If you want a fuller sound you can also include an in-ceiling subwoofer. It's not hi-fi or stereo as from a pair of floor standers, but it can be very nice if designed properly. But who wants to stand in the kitchen, or sit on the din I ng table to listen critically to music.

If you are interested I have some eight channel professional amplifiers I want to move.

Sent from my SM-T815Y using Tapatalk