New member, with a question regarding my old Inkel

Hey guys,

New member here So don't really have much cred 

however i live in Darwin and there isn't really anyone up this way who knows anything about old hifi gear ( or has any intrest really )  

but i just thought id put my issue out on the world wide web and see what comes back. 

I have an old Inkel ARA-2  Which i'm sure is something really not even worth mentioning in comparison to the stuff that most of you all have.

but lately its developed a bit of an fault. 

The Red watts LED's seem to come on randomly on there own accord.

So there is absolutely nothing being played though the amp.  but they stay on.  also the amount of LED's  that come on is also random.  sometimes its just a couple and sometimes there is alot of them lit up. 

there is  no sound coming through the speakers,  no white noise or no nothing. 

i can only assume this is a fault with the display itself. 

I have attached a couple of pics

Cheers

Ross. 

post-155526-0-37762100-1459759215_thumb.

Ross, I have been here for ages, and I still have no cred' :D

Welcome :cool:

Always wondered about the Inkel brand, can't help with that issue but someone here no doubt will.

Pretty.

Shame about the missing knob cover.

I seem to think their getting on in years ? so I'd look at caps and trimpots on the display boards.

But at that age (?) , I'd be looking at all caps and any open frame trimpots.

Are you at all 'handy' with a soldering iron ?

Aw heck, unplug them, remove the lids, and show us lots of internal photos..... :D

Edited by Green Wagon

Inkel started life in Australia as Audio Reflex. It's been more than 25 years since I've worked on one and I don't recall your model, nor do I have a service manual for same. I did locate a schematic for your model though. I would suspect the area around Q401 and Q402, or one of the components nearby.  

Bit of a story really, 

I used to have all 3 components in the set  I just Googled INkel CD3 and a pic came up on a french EBay page

Originally this set was bought new back in the very early 80's from a department store called Waltons in Parramatta ( western Sydney ) .  

My uncle bought them new as a present to his parents ( my grand parents ) . Unfortunately it was hardly ever used and collected dust year after year until they moved into a home and I salvaged the 3 piece.

i used the tape deck for about 2 years and the mechanism that rises the transport gear into the cassette itself just stopped . ( I had only ever seen the slide out tray i had never seen this kind of apparatus before )

anyway I took it to several HIFI repairers across Sydney in the late 90's , they either scratched their heads and walked away, or called me crazy for even contemplating fixing it  in the end I had to buy a newer deck to replace it . and it ended up in the local tip ..

I've used the tuner and amp ever since and they both work and sound great. I'm sure there not high end or amazing pieces of gear but it has more sentimental value if anything. 

I've got the amp hooked up to a nice pair of technics SB-CD550's and it just does fine.  i only ever really use it in my bedroom . and theres an ipod dock for all other occasions. 

Cheers

Hey guys,

however i live in Darwin and there isn't really anyone up this way who knows anything about old hifi gear ( or has any intrest really )  

but i just thought id put my issue out on the world wide web and see what comes back. 

I have an old Inkel ARA-2  Which i'm sure is something really not even worth mentioning in comparison to the stuff that most of you all have.

So there is absolutely nothing being played though the amp.  but they stay on.  also the amount of LED's  that come on is also random.  sometimes its just a couple and sometimes there is alot of them lit up. 

Cheers

Ross. 

nice 

Hey guys,

Cheers

Ross. 

i have worked on this model before some transistors could be faulty 

the VU PCB is driven off the speaker outputs, best way for you to resolve the issue would be to just replace all the transistors on the PCB. and filter caps, it may have a few diodes there as well, you may want to check them for shots if you have a multimeter. 

• 1 month later...

Hey guys,

Sorry i havn't been on here for a while,  been away for work,

just to tidy up some loose ends ( excuse the pun,)  

i just ended up wiggling a pcb and some wires near the front panel when I took the top of and 

it hasn't happened since touch wood. 

Thanks heaps for all your responses though .  there is a lot of wisdom and knowledge on this site that keeps these old things alive

Cheers

Roiss

• Like 1

G'day Ross,

I have no idea about most things, but wanted to welcome another Territorian. I lived there for 2 stints, 6 months and 3 years. Have to get back one day too, I miss the place.....

• 2 months later...

Nice Inkel set up Ross, I have the Audio Reflex equivalent that my old man bought in the early 80's (possibly from the same store as yours as he was a Westie back then). Mine has started to develop a similar issue, but only 1 led on each channel lights up when nothing is actually going through it, but this only happens occasionally. I know Dad had a second ARA2 amp, but the volume knob on it was busted. I should see if it's still there, for spare parts. I had the amp serviced a few years ago by a guy in here in Maitland, but he's no longer open there, but since then I've only needed to spray a bit of contact spray around to keep the unit working fine.

As you said, it's not comparable to some units you see others using, but they are still great systems, especially for their age. I always recommend people pick up an Audio Reflex/Inkel if they come across one. Even I'm after another turntable (hopefully an Inkel branded one) as a second unit. Is the blue glow in your tuner aftermarket or original? Mine glows green.

BTW, Darwin is a top spot, I went there twice earlier this year, but spent most of my time in Katherine.

1XzO.md.jpg

1XzC.md.jpg

1XzB.md.jpg

For larger photos here are the links

http://www.ultraimg.com/image/1XzO

http://www.ultraimg.com/image/1XzB

http://www.ultraimg.com/image/1XzC

Edited by doney6012

Hey guys,

Cheers

Ross. 

i was the tech who repaired your unit when you were in sydney hope you got the fault sorted 

• 2 months later...

Wow  Lots of great info here. 

Yeap i spend a lot of time in Katherine as well .  it has definitely come a long way as a town but there is still a great social divides between cultures which only seem to be growing further apart.

Darwin though is a cool spot. very unique way of life up here .    if your into  Fishing, big 4x4 utes, beer and shooting/Hunting then its great. its kinda like a place for blokey blokes to flourish,. 'If you weren't into those things then i would say it would be quite difficult to make friends and to fit in. 

my sis is here so i was quite lucky socially. 

Wow So weird to see the same Inkel units with different branding.

inkel stuff hahaha . thats cool .   I actually do think my grandparents also had that exact record player 

i remember as a young kid watching the amber crystal Light shine on to the pattern on the side of the turn table as it spun and it kind of made an optical illusion  as if the turn table was going backwards . 

I remember also being perplexed by how the tape stayed in place . 

i was only like 5 or 6 hahah easily entertained.  

The blue glow on the tuner is actually white .  my phone made it look blue .   but yes you are correct it was green oridginally however i took it in for a service and to replace the LED and it was replaced with White ones. 

SANSUI111  yes quite right about the speaker outputs.   it isn't a big deal i just seem to wiggle the speaker button and it seems to make it stop . 

and thank you for the service all those years ago.  its still used daily and sometimes driven pretty hard plus in  this heat up here and it has never faulted. .  perfect. 

Cheers

Ross. 

On 10/30/2016 at 5:02 PM, Rosco Darwin said:

i remember as a young kid watching the amber crystal Light shine on to the pattern on the side of the turn table as it spun and it kind of made an optical illusion  as if the turn table was going backwards .

Yeah, that's the strobe for adjusting correct rotation. If it looked like it was going backwards then the platter would have been spinning a bit too slow. To the right of the 33 & 45 selector switches is the speed adjustment pot, which allows for fine tuning. Ideally, you want the lit up squares to stay perfectly still. The rows of squares are ordered from top to bottom: 45 rpm 50 kHz, 33 rpm 50 kHz, 45 rpm 60 kHz & 33 rpm 60 kHz (Australian standard being 50 kHz, so I adjust off the top two rows).

I checked in my Dad's shed and he doesn't have his other amplifier anymore, but it had been sitting there for years, and he's had multiple clean outs since then, so it's probably long gone now.