Valve Amp Repair Melbourne

Guest jakeyb77

Guest jakeyb77

Hi All,

I would like to take my Melody SP1 for a bit of treatment and would like some current suggestions on where to take it in Melbourne. I don't mind a drive but I'm not posting as it's 26kgs.

Firstly I don't really want a war over why not to take it to X or Y.

If you have a suggestion of who then I would greatly appreciate somebody that's reliable but also honest. 

The issue is a scratchy volume knob that reacts in both channels and I've noticed that the tubes give a bluish haze when this happens.  Also I'd like it to have a once over. 

I know there are older threads but techs move around etc.

Look forward to some advice from you knowledgeable buggers!  :thumb:

Cheers Jake

Edited by jakeyb77
Guest jakeyb77

You tried cleaning the pot?

Yep had a good deoxit. No avail. Plus I'd like it to have a look over also

And I'm not sanding my wand or any of that kinky stuff you get up to!

Edited by jakeyb77

Just be patient, I'm sure when the usual suspects jump on later today there will be plenty of advice.

Edit: I would suggest Earle but I'm sure he's just trying to stay afloat getting through his own stuff.

Yep had a good deoxit. No avail. Plus I'd like it to have a look over also

And I'm not sanding my wand or any of that kinky stuff you get up to!

But you wanna undress it and have its innards disrupted. That's hardcore stuff if you ask me.

Guest jakeyb77

Just be patient, I'm sure when the usual suspects jump on later today there will be plenty of advice.

You mean not everyone has time to sit on here all day like me?????????? :P

Guest jakeyb77

Have you contacted Melody?

Not as yet. Just wanted to see what was around and take it from there. I have a guy in mind that @@evil c also uses but might be too bulky a unit for him at the moment. Plus he's not taking on much work.

Melody aren't in repair business and as O/S not a realistic option.

Sure there were a few other recent amp repairer threads -  try hifi exchange,  (8822 3399), speak to Ray.

Edited by evil c
  • Like 1

Sure there were a few other recent amp repairer threads -  try hifi exchange,  (9898 4999), speak to Ray and organize for his tech Peter to look at it.

He's very good.

But surely as even an ex Melb based product they would have someone to repair their goods locally, or don't they have any presence in Austraila anymore?

Scary the thought of being stranded with no support :(

Guest jakeyb77

Sure there were a few other recent amp repairer threads -  try hifi exchange,  (9898 4999), speak to Ray and organize for his tech Peter to look at it.

He's very good.

Phone number @@evil c is 03 8822 3399 Also Peter has left Hi Fi exchange.

Back to square one if anyone has any leads??

Phone number @@evil c is 03 8822 3399 Also Peter has left Hi Fi exchange.Back to square one if anyone has any leads??

Try Clarke audio in glen waverley he did repair some China made amps and some time modifier them or love tube goden age audio or Lucas of black art .

Edited by palexsia

Guest jakeyb77

Try Clarke audio in glen waverley he did repair some China made amps and some time modifier them or love tube goden age audio or Lucas of black art .

SP1 is an Aussie melody but I will take them on board cheers :thumb:

Phone number @@evil c is 03 8822 3399 Also Peter has left Hi Fi exchange.

Back to square one if anyone has any leads??

Not back to square one at all - told you was chasing up details on another guy  ;)

Guest jakeyb77

Not back to square one at all - told you was chasing up details on another guy  ;)

Wrote that before I spoke to you. Still can't hurt to see what's around and also for others to see.

Guest jakeyb77

Just a thought...........Scratchy pot could be a result of DC leaking into the pot.

Regards,

Mohan

Could well be Mohan but I'm not that technically minded... happy to give it to someone to look over.