Making a perfect record skip or mistrack

zenikoy

Making a perfect record skip or mistrack..... ok my three best so far.

1. Changing to a thinner mat, resetting the tonearm, but forgetting to lower the tonearm lift to a lower down position. Some records sounded great, some distorted and skipping due to the stylus not sitting in the groove.

2. Tinkering around with an old TT and using wire and alligator clip to the ground lug. Skipping started on the last track, hmmm. Ahh, the ground wire was kinked up near the rear of the tone arm, making contact and preventing the tonearm from moving across any further.

3. Last night, huge skip across the first track. WTF, earthquake? No, a giant flying bush cockroach had flown in the open window and landed on the record, knocking the tonearm for six  :D

• Like 1
Guest Eggcup The Daft

I was a member of the local record library, and once a year I had to take in the removable stylus to be checked. Of course they didn't get fine line styli and I had to reassure them that it was meant to be like that! So, the second time I did this, I came back and found my flatmate with a completely ruined LP...

After that I bought a cheap radiogram "needle" to take in for the annual check.

The first record-player I had as a kid started jumping tracks, and I couldn't work out why it happened.  Taping a shilling coin to the already heavy tonearm helped stop the skip.  After some time I wondered if the sapphire needle had worn, and the replacement demonstrated that a good stylus doesn't require extra weight.  I still have some great records with a lot of vinyl ripped from the grooves. 

• Like 1

The first record-player I had as a kid started jumping tracks, and I couldn't work out why it happened.  Taping a shilling coin to the already heavy tonearm helped stop the skip.  After some time I wondered if the sapphire needle had worn, and the replacement demonstrated that a good stylus doesn't require extra weight.  I still have some great records with a lot of vinyl ripped from the grooves. 

You must be older than me, we used 1c coins, 2c on a real bad one :D

• Like 1