Please Help: Recommend Sub Crossover Frequency

Hi everyone,

In my frustration of lack of bass from my Dynaudio C4, I have taken the sub from my HT (Dynaudio Sub 250) to turn my 2ch into 2.1! And it makes a BIG difference!!! 

I got the volume and phase worked out but can't work out a cross over frequency to get a smooth frequency response without a bass hump.

Short of getting a Pro in or DEQX etc... is there a DIY method? 

Here's the Sub's manual:

http://syntec.prod.beyondd.com.au/syntec_data/wp-uploads/2013/01/dynaudio-Sub250-manual.pdf

Interesting the Sub only goes to 29hz and the C4 goes to 27hz but feels the C4 only goes to like 40hz!

Thanks in advanced!

Thanks David... just like a "butt" dyno for car mods? :P

is 27 hz the -3db or -6db figure on the c4?

Technical Specifications Sensitivity: 88 dB (2,83 V/1 m) IEC Power Handling: 400 W Impedance: 4 Ohms Frequency Response: 27 Hz – 25 kHz (± 3 dB) Box Principle: Bass Reflex, Rear Ported Crossover: 3 (4) way

Oh and the old school sub placement method is this. 

You place the sub on your listening seat. Play some lower notes under 100Hz. Get an SPL meter on your smartphone. Walk around your room like an idiot, trying to find a spot where you get the loudest volume. And that's where you want to place the sub.

The next step: add another sub using the first sub in the right spot.

Gotcha... Will do that! :)

Oh and the old school sub placement method is this. 

You place the sub on your listening seat. Play some lower notes under 100Hz. Get an SPL meter on your smartphone. Walk around your room like an idiot, trying to find a spot where you get the loudest volume. And that's where you want to place the sub.

The next step: add another sub using the first sub in the right spot.

if can grab hold of a velodyne sms-1 they do pop up for sale $450 typically and will tell you in 5 sec whats going on. Can also use to find best location of sub and mains and main listening position plus utilise for best integration into room and system and smooth response back to the main listening position

Thanks. will keep an eye out.

if can grab hold of a velodyne sms-1 they do pop up for sale $450 typically and will tell you in 5 sec whats going on. Can also use to find best location of sub and mains and main listening position plus utilise for best integration into room and system and smooth response back to the main listening position

Without the measurement you can't expect to get a flat frequency. 

About 80-100Hz is where the bass is non-directional, so you may want to cut it there.

Hi David,

That sort of works, except - the crossover your are using will almost always be a 24dB/octave LR. Which means that the sub will still be fairly loud (audible) at half an octave about the crossover point. So the best place to start would be 60Hz, so that the subwoofer would be 12dB down at 85Hz.

Another option is to place two subwoofers at or near your main speakers (front L/R), which means you don't have to worry so much about the crossover point.

I'v got mine both near the main speakers and crossed at 50Hz. I can still get a thump (when I'm watching a movie) by adjusting the volume difference. But when they're matched, I am not able to tell when it crosses from the mains to the subbies.

Hi DT,

Reference trying to manually tune the crossover point. start at approximately 30 Hz and sit in the listening position, get someone to turn the crossover point one click at a time either way until it sounds best to you. You will also need to do the same with the sub volume level. Definitely a better option to get this done with some sort of eq system though as recommended by Betty boop.

Something is amiss here though and it is somewhat telling that the Dynaudio sub 250 improves the bass response considerably in your system. Having had quite a bit Of Dynaudio experience, I can say the 250 is not a high performance sub, and is unequivocably not at the standard of the C4 in general terms.

This makes me wonder about the amp you are using and the positioning of the speakers in the room. Dare I say it that the frequently recently touted room treatment regime may also be an option.

Can you explain more on your system ?

Cheers,

Lovely speakers by the way !

• 3 weeks later...

I do one of two things.... either add 20Hz to the lowest frequency the mains go down to (27Hz + 20Hz = 47Hz rounded up to 50Hz), or add one half of an octave to the lowest frequency the mains go down to (27Hz + 13.5Hz = 40.5Hz rounded down to 40Hz). So as a starting point maybe 40-50Hz and go up from there.

Dynaudio C4 Frequency Response: 27 Hz – 25 kHz (± 3 dB)

I use a DSPeaker Anti-Mode 8033Cimena for sub EQing (point and click type device) to deal with room nodes and modes, works a treat for my system (and simple too, like me). Works for both 2.1 and 5.1 etc. Bought it from...
http://www.deephzaudio.com/DSPeaker%20Anti-mode8033%20auto%20sub%20equaliser%20product%20page.html

More information here...
http://www.dspeaker.com/en/products/anti-mode-8033.shtml

Edited by rastus