Horn project

nzlowie

Well my horn project is really making progress, quater pie bass horns are finished.

post-152646-145972452279.jpgpost-152646-145972452944.jpg

4x 6watt Pass class A amp modules are about 75% finished, awaiting the call to say the Azura horns are ready. Just have to decide on tweeters and crossover. Looking at a minidsp 2x8 or an opendrc. Tweeters could be RAAL 'S.

So still a bit to do......

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

• Like 9

nzlowie > I know nothing of the technology you've used, but I will say that I really like how you have assimilated the speakers into the decor of the room. Very well done sir! Also, I assume those things on top of the speakers are some kind of home built 'traps'. All over, those speakers look very nice. The WAF accomplished too.

quater pie bass horns are finished

Hah.  That is exactly how I planned to do my bracing   (it even looks as though you received some inspiration?!)  .....   but I got "nervous", and went further connecting them horisontally  (and now I'm not sure it was necessary)   ..      I'll be interested to see what vibration you can feel though them (the braces).

• Like 1

Thanks guys. Yes they are acoustic panels, just sitting there for now, before the corners we're filled with bass horn these panels went from floor to ceiling. I'll just fix these to the celling - wall corner at some stage.

As for the braces, these aren't fixed. They are just long enough to be a tight fit with some thick felt on each end, this way i can move or add more if i find any stray resonances.

I may also add a 75mm horizontal strip down each long side to stiffen if required, the skirting board means that the horn won't go directly against the wall anyway so a 75mm strip won't affect placement.

Tried them out over the weekend..... Bass only so not much to go on, will need to give the drivers some time to loosen up but first impression is that the bass is different, didn't seem to go very low.... But very early days!

Credit where credit is due, yes davewantmore, i did get the idea from your build! Thanks... The beauty of these forums, ideas are shared.

• Like 1

I may also add a 75mm horizontal strip down each long side to stiffen if required, the skirting board means that the horn won't go directly against the wall anyway so a 75mm strip won't affect placement.

I considered doing exactly that (running a stiffener all around on the ouside, as the skirting board will allow it to fit)   .... but where I linked my braces horisontally helped a lot, so I didn't bother (yet)

Thought as much, the plan is to add a sub for the last bit later on...... Now minidsp options???

Edited by nzlowie

Yea, miniDSP, can help you out if you have problems setting up

Recommend the 2 x 8 in a box with all the extras inc mic. No, I don't sell them  :D just had a good run with mine, a bit over a grand, but great value and as Dave says, get a brand new one.

They don't.   Absolute best case they will reach down to 50Hz (with nothing below that).

Are there larger quarter pie bass horn designs that get down to 40Hz?  Just wondering as thats as low as I want to go and they fit so neatly into a room.

Not that I know of, but it isn't too difficult.

You could basically just enlarge the plans for the 50Hz horn in the right places (make the horn longer and the mouth size bigger).

thats as low as I want to go and they fit so neatly into a room.

If you mean "I only need extension down to 40Hz and I'm not planning to use a subwoofer" .... then be careful.   The horns response falls very fast below cut off.     Subjectively, it will sound like "where has the bass gone".   (see post #4)

I also looked at another bass horn design that would go lower.... Check out the Inlow Spiral horn! Its huge, each side is basically a 2400x1200 sheet about 500 deep. Impressive if you've got the room to put it and the muscles to move it!

I came dangerously close to building something with similar dimensions  (using the 'spiral' method)  and laying it down on the floor .... so it was like a "stage" you see in home cinema builds.

... but shoulder devils says  "you will still need a subwoofer".    (dunno if he really knows what he's talking about, but)

That, and returning to sealed boxes (or dipoles) for the range between subwoofer (~70hz), and midhorn (~200hz).

Back on topic... if you have the capability to measure the electrical impedance of yours, I'd like to see it.     I've got some things I'm troubleshooting with mine right now  (which is why I haven't posted much on them) ..... and comparing to others will help me rule out a few things.    I'm only dealing with in room SPL so far .....    A job on the list is to drag them outside before the weather gets more uncooperative.

Not that I know of, but it isn't too difficult.

You could basically just enlarge the plans for the 50Hz horn in the right places (make the horn longer and the mouth size bigger).

Is there an easy sim app to model it?

These use laptop power packs. In Nelson Pass's words.... they work so get over it!

Once i understand this project abit more I'll upgrade these to something better, maybe 300B's but for now these will do. Nelson wouldn't put his name on something that didn't sound good.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

Edited by nzlowie

They are class A 6 watts. I've just been trying them with my DTQWT speakers and I've got to say they sound pretty good for a simple build. But then all Pass amps are pretty simple! Dead quiet, lacking abit of power but.....

Only issue is that the heat sink may be a bit too small, running about 55deg C on idle. Should drop a bit under load. Easy to put a small fan on if required although 55 isn't really that hot.

These use laptop power packs. In Nelson Pass's words.... they work so get over it!

Once i understand this project abit more I'll upgrade these to something better, maybe 300B's but for now these will do. Nelson wouldn't put his name on something that didn't sound good.

I like it, nice and reasonably simple, nothing wrong with SMPs, if they are quiet and sound Ok, run with them.

• 4 weeks later...

Well we have sounds again!

Made some basic stands fot the Azura horns.

6f992773638c32c4dbf3b3a842b810eb.jpg

Amps are finished and at this stage I'm using a simple first order low pass filter on the Weston Topaz for the bass horn and the same filter specs for the hi pass driving one of the Pass amp. No tweeters yet....

Doesn’t sound too bad at this stage, maybe a bit harsh in the upper mids.

Anyway the plan is to get a minidsp and tweeters ordered.

Not really sure how I'm going to attach the filter design yet but isn't that wat DIY is all about! Learning as you go....fe38634e17c48b80628e6f99b7394901.jpg

Edited by nzlowie
  • Like 2