WTB: Linn LP12 Outer Platter

Flynnyfalcon

Item: Linn LP12 Outer Platter
Price Range: $200.  Really unsure of their value on the second hand market so please let me know what you have.
Item Condition: New or Used in VGC
Extra Info: Hoping to find one locally to avoid potentially expensive postage and possible damage.

I'm about to embark on an LP12 resto.  If you have anything which you think I may find useful, please let me know.

Edited by Flynnyfalcon

So you got the one from Beerwah on ebay?

Good to se it went to someone on SNA

Yeah that was me. I only have pretty limited knowledge on the Linn's, but it seemed a reasonably deal. After further investigation though, restoration costs look extraordinary! [emoji51]

Yeah, saw that one on eBay too, used outer platters don't seem to come up that often. A new one would be the thick end of $400 :(

I do have a recapped Valhalla board for sale if you need one though.

Good luck with the resto. though Flynny.

Pete.

Yeah, saw that one on eBay too, used outer platters don't seem to come up that often. A new one would be the thick end of $400 :(

Pete.

I have nothing and probably need everything Pete [emoji38]

Will look into the Valhalla. Everything I read seems to mention the Cirkus as the best and "cheapest" way to improve the LP12, but I'm open to any and every suggestion.

Yeah, the Cirkus upgrade is a big improvement, not cheap tho as you need the bearing plus the inner platter with the spindle.

I did mine about 18 mths ago and had the whole Cirkus upgrade kit fitted as the springs were shot on mine as well (around 1k for the kit).

Depending how old yours is you might have the pre Nirvana springs (pre-1981). Wiki is very handy as it has a full history of the lp12 with all the updates and serial nos. Good Luck,

Pete.

• Like 1

I bought 3 used outer platters from overseas when the dollar was good the cheapest was $200 inc postage and the most expensive was $260 inc postage. Non are in perfect condition though one is very good. I bought them for projects I want to do.

Finding one locally in good nick for less than $100...er goodluck!! 

I also bought a "new" one that cost me $450 again when the dollar was good.

Be prepared to spend some coin otherwise I wouldn't bother....not trying to dishearten just giving you the facts the way I see it and have experienced......

Mind you, you will have an excellent sounding TT if all goes to plan for you...even properly set up vintage ones can stun....

Good Luck Tase. 

• Like 1

Thanks Tase, I'll be in no hurry to fix her up, so hopefully I can snap up a few good buys along the way.

Regarding the patter cost, I really had no idea, just thought given the many 1000's made over the years, they wouldn't be too rare a commodity [emoji1]

Happy to spend money to make it a decent deck, but will be aiming more towards bang for buck in the mods. If it doesn't pan out well, it shouldn't be hard to sell it off.

Pete.

Hey Pete,

How recently was the board recapped? What are would you be happy to sell for?

Hi Mate

If you haven't organised the valhalla PSU yet I will be able to help.

Also I have an ADC LMF2 Tonearm already mounted to an linn armboard I would sell. Plug and play....