Tympani 1D's

well, that was a lot briefer than 50 pages, even with the full reveal yet to come.

congratulations, on many fronts!

Give it time brother give it time.

I will be going through the same process as David in terms of modding so 50 pages may not be enough :)

They are by all accounts a world class speaker.

Believe it or not but there has been a steady push over the years to resurrect them and the TIVa's. Magnepan have

stated that to build to todays standard they would be retailing for $40k+!!!

When you consider how much the 20.7's are it puts things into perspective.

Ozzie

• Like 1

Just have a look at the cloth that they used back then. Certainly very different to what you get today.

It doesnt quite show in the photo but the colour of the cloth today is yellow as opposed to its original colour of white.

Whilst I am excited I am also nervous I have to say knowing that I will be taking the covers off to see the state of the wiring.

The speakers have NOT been used for 14 years and kept away in its original boxing. The boxes look surprisingly in very good nick

for their age but storing maggies away for this long is not supposed to be the best thing you can do to care for them.

Aint holding my breath I tell ya.

Ozzie

Okay the Tympani 1D range consists of 6 individual panels with 3 panels per side.

Starting from the left the panels are numbered accordingly:

L1, L2, L3 --- R4, R5, R6

This means that the very most left panel is L1 and the very most right panel is R6.

I just started them using the 4amp fuses from the MMG's and got this result:

L1, L2, R5 working.

L3, R4 and R6 NOT working.

Coincidentally L3 and R4 correspond to the location for the back panel on each channel.

I havent taken the covers off yet but I have felt around and honestly I cant feel the tell tale signs of delamination but that doesnt

really mean that that hasnt occured. 

It could be a number of things. Am hoping it isnt the dreaded oxidisation but its not looking good. At least half the panels work but 

usually thats a sign that the others are on the way.

Once I get the covers off I will post photos.

I am leaving them out of the box to air out as honestly they smell like an old man. Its that really musty smell indicating little in the 

way of airing out.

Ozzie

honestly they smell like an old man. Its that really musty smell

A moment of revelation in the cult of Maggies!  Could this be the real reason for their appeal? A hint of past days, of indian summers and crowded front parlours, a trigger of memories of joyous audiophile hope and optimism, much like how a single cup of tea elicited an entire life and civilisation in Proust's Remembrance of Things Past, yet tempered here by the sulphides of questionable storage and dodgy hygiene?

No. You're going to tell me it's about the sound.

• Like 4

Okay the Tympani 1D range consists of 6 individual panels with 3 panels per side.

Starting from the left the panels are numbered accordingly:

L1, L2, L3 --- R4, R5, R6

This means that the very most left panel is L1 and the very most right panel is R6.

I just started them using the 4amp fuses from the MMG's and got this result:

L1, L2, R5 working.

L3, R4 and R6 NOT working.

Coincidentally L3 and R4 correspond to the location for the back panel on each channel.

I havent taken the covers off yet but I have felt around and honestly I cant feel the tell tale signs of delamination but that doesnt

really mean that that hasnt occured. 

It could be a number of things. Am hoping it isnt the dreaded oxidisation but its not looking good. At least half the panels work but 

usually thats a sign that the others are on the way.

Once I get the covers off I will post photos.

I am leaving them out of the box to air out as honestly they smell like an old man. Its that really musty smell indicating little in the 

way of airing out.

Ozzie

Check the state of the crossovers before you conclude the worst, might just need a few caps replaced.

• Like 1

Check the state of the crossovers before you conclude the worst, might just need a few caps replaced.

Will do.

This will be a work in progress so I will post photos at periodic moments as a guide to anyone else out there who

will embark upon this process.

To be honest I was going to get the covers off last night but the musty smell was starting to give me a little bit of

a headache. The caps will surely have to be replaced.

Good advice and thankyou.

Ozzie

A moment of revelation in the cult of Maggies!  Could this be the real reason for their appeal? A hint of past days, of indian summers and crowded front parlours, a trigger of memories of joyous audiophile hope and optimism, much like how a single cup of tea elicited an entire life and civilisation in Proust's Remembrance of Things Past, yet tempered here by the sulphides of questionable storage and dodgy hygiene?

No. You're going to tell me it's about the sound.

Whilst Marcel Proust had me intrigued in my early uni years travelling to the odd philosophy class which at the time was my attempt at satisfying a humanities

component, the moment of nasal remembrance took me to Huxleys Brave New World where our hero John Savage, in another moment of reconciling different worlds, I too found myself being dragged into the journey of these 30 plus years of travel. The musty smell it seems could only be silenced by me vacating the area and embracing some Mate tea, a pungent hint of freedom that rises with the mythical mountains that one has to travel on to sense the glory of following an unknown trail.

My wife on the other hand snapped me out of this warm embrace by asking what these effing room dividers were doing in the house :)

What is poetry to some is a garbled mix of unknown letters to another.

• Like 3

My wife on the other hand snapped me out of this warm embrace by asking what these effing room dividers were doing in the house :)

What is poetry to some is a garbled mix of unknown letters to another.

Tell her that they are electrified insect screens that double up as musical transducer.... Happy wife happy life!..... :P

• Like 1

Get them going first but if you still have a problem, I can help you out by taking them off your hands at a fraction of the price that you paid for them ;)

• Like 1

The XO is simply ... 1 cap and 1 coil (6dB slopes, HP & LP).  The coil is OK - aircored but not a ribbon inductor; the cap is (on David's anyway) 2 of the same value in parallel, plus a good quality bypass cap of 0.1uF (from memory).

So, yes, easy - and not expensive - to upgrade the passive XO ... but much better SQ increase to go active.  :thumb:

Andy

• Like 2

Many moons ago when I use to visit The Soundcraftsman, they had a Magnaplanar panel in for repairs, the guys where trying to find the breaks in the wire with a multimeter, when they had the break visually they hit that part with solder, after about 20mins they had it working, never forget that....... And I'll never forget the bad mouth how bad it sounded.......yrs later, I never thought I buy a pair....:P

I blame @@andyr for that....:P. :D. :thumb:

• Like 1

Get them going first but if you still have a problem, I can help you out by taking them off your hands at a fraction of the price that you paid for them ;)

The vendor originally had them priced at $4k which was amusing at first. After a couple of weeks he reduced the price to $2.5k.

Now I got them for well under half the revised asking price :)

Was it worth it? Who knows. I will be better placed to make that call when I take the covers off. 

In saying that having these speakers is indicative of the reference system that I have wanted to get so you have to go out on 

a limb with speakers that are 30 years old.

O

Edited by ghost4man

The XO is simply ... 1 cap and 1 coil (6dB slopes, HP & LP).  The coil is OK - aircored but not a ribbon inductor; the cap is (on David's anyway) 2 of the same value in parallel, plus a good quality bypass cap of 0.1uF (from memory).

So, yes, easy - and not expensive - to upgrade the passive XO ... but much better SQ increase to go active.  :thumb:

Andy

Photos to come hoping tonight to get stuck into getting the covers. Plenty of staples lie ahead :)