Home Theatre and Living Room setup

So to start of with, my living room.

post-137294-0-19590300-1459675135_thumb.

Sytem includes:

Monitor Audio Silver 10

Pioneer LX82

Sony 65W850C

Intel NUC HTPC

PS4

PS3

Xbox One

Xbox 360

Wii U

And now the dedicated Home Theatre:

The room

post-137294-0-77962300-1459675103_thumb.

post-137294-0-91499900-1459675087_thumb.

Atmos speakers

post-137294-0-13296300-1459675096_thumb.

Equipment 

Main equipment hidden behind left side of screen

post-137294-0-38739300-1459675118_thumb.

post-137294-0-16311000-1459675006_thumb.

post-137294-0-03941100-1459675031_thumb.

Equipment for sub behind right side of screen

post-137294-0-95871200-1459675126_thumb.

post-137294-0-44559900-1459675039_thumb.

And finally, LCR and subs hidden behind screen

post-137294-0-05742600-1459674999_thumb.

Equipment includes:

Speakers

Mains/LCR  - Seaton Cat 12C 

Surround     - Reaction Audio CX-8

Atmos          - JBL 8320

Subs            - JTR Cap S2 and 4 x DIY Dayton RSS460HO 18"

Electronics

Receiver      - Yamaha 3040

Amps           - Behringer iNUKE NU6000DSP (2 off - one channel for each DIY sub)

Source         - Oppo BDP 93 (region free)

Equalisation - Behringer FBD (for sub equalisation)

Video           - Lumagen XS (mainly for CIH) 

Power          - Monster HTS 1650

Control         - Logitech Smart Hub

Projector

- Benq w1070

- DIY Scope acoustic transparent screen (approx 125") 

I'm keen to upgrade the projector but unfortunately, Sony and JVC don't make any projectors that can provide the image size I need from my available throw distance.

I'll provide more detail of the room (acoustic treatment and sound proofing) when I have a bit more time.

• Like 10

So to start of with, my living room.

attachicon.gifDSC01503.jpg

Sytem includes:

Monitor Audio Silver 10

Pioneer LX82

Sony 65W850C

Intel NUC HTPC

PS4

PS3

Xbox One

Xbox 360

Wii U

And now the dedicated Home Theatre:

The room

attachicon.gifDSC01494.jpg

attachicon.gifDSC01490.jpg

Atmos speakers

attachicon.gifDSC01491.jpg

Equipment 

Main equipment hidden behind left side of screen

attachicon.gifDSC01495.jpg

attachicon.gifDSC01484.jpg

attachicon.gifDSC01487.jpg

Equipment for sub behind right side of screen

attachicon.gifDSC01496.jpg

attachicon.gifDSC01488.jpg

And finally, LCR and subs hidden behind screen

attachicon.gifDSC01483.jpg

Equipment includes:

Speakers

Mains/LCR  - Seaton Cat 12C 

Surround     - Reaction Audio CX-8

Atmos          - JBL 8320

Subs            - JTR Cap S2 and 4 x DIY Dayton RSS460HO 18"

Electronics

Receiver      - Yamaha 3040

Amps           - Behringer iNUKE NU6000DSP (2 off - one channel for each DIY sub)

Source         - Oppo BDP 93 (region free)

Equalisation - Behringer FBD (for sub equalisation)

Video           - Lumagen XS (mainly for CIH) 

Power          - Monster HTS 1650

Control         - Logitech Smart Hub

Projector

- Benq w1070

- DIY Scope acoustic transparent screen (approx 125") 

I'm keen to upgrade the projector but unfortunately, Sony and JVC don't make any projectors that can provide the image size I need from my available throw distance.

I'll provide more detail of the room (acoustic treatment and sound proofing) when I have a bit more time.

Awesome set-ups mate.

I see you have the Seaton floorstanders - how long have you had them?  Any issues ordering/delivery etc.?

Oh, and your JTR deserves an honorable mention too...  ;)

Thanks mate.

Have had the Seatons for about a year now. Bought them 2nd hand from a Dtv forum member, so didnt deal with Mark directly.

However since purchasing them, I had to get 2 of the amps repaired. It was not easy getting in touch with Mark. Once I did get a hold of him, he was awesome to deal with.

Mark makes awesome products, but he needs to work on his customer service (as in availability).

Speaking of JTR, I had the Noesis 212 before the Seatons. I found the interaction with Jeff really good, and was overall happy with his service. Would happily purchase from Jeff again.

• Like 1

nice work ! can understand the projector side wanting an upgrade compared to the audio banging streets ahead. why cant the jvc or sony provide screen size for throw ? what is screen size for throw ?

in my travels have found epson probably most flexible, jvc next, sony probably the least of that three and if going DLP the benq's the absolute least flexible for screen sizes throw and image shift. so curious on your comments just depends where you are in the spectrum though.

additionally screen size is something can always play with...if going a slightly smaller screen just sit slightly closer its a ratio thing so a smaller screen sitting closer still gives the same immersion. works for a smaller projected image but obviously the other extreme wont work as dont necessarily want to be sitting further back I wouldn't think wiht regards back wall and speaker placements ?

anyways just some thoughts, am sure you have thought all of it in out through and through, but just curious myself I guess ? :)

nice work ! can understand the projector side wanting an upgrade compared to the audio banging streets ahead. why cant the jvc or sony provide screen size for throw ? what is screen size for throw ?

in my travels have found epson probably most flexible, jvc next, sony probably the least of that three and if going DLP the benq's the absolute least flexible for screen sizes throw and image shift. so curious on your comments just depends where you are in the spectrum though.

additionally screen size is something can always play with...if going a slightly smaller screen just sit slightly closer its a ratio thing so a smaller screen sitting closer still gives the same immersion. works for a smaller projected image but obviously the other extreme wont work as dont necessarily want to be sitting further back I wouldn't think wiht regards back wall and speaker placements ?

anyways just some thoughts, am sure you have thought all of it in out through and through, but just curious myself I guess ? :)

Hey Al, thanks for your suggestions.

Yeah agreen Benq is quite inflexible interms of placement, given it's limited lens shift options. But it gives the largest screen size for distance from screen (aside from it's short throw cousin). 

So my constrainsts as follows:

Distance from back wall to screen - 3.87m

Screen size - approx 126" (for scope, which is 135" for 16:9 based on same horizontal distance).

The Benq is about 3.5m from the screen (which can give a max screen size of about 137" at this distance).

If I take the JVC x500, at 3.5m, the image size is 113" for 16:9 (based on the calcuator from projector central). I beleive the other JVC models and the Sony's were similar. 

Also note, the JVC (and sony) is a much large projector, so the lens will be further off the back wall and closer to the screen than the Benq.

My room is actually 4.5-5m long. But I lose about 1m at the front, as speakers and subs are behind the screen. I could place the screen on the front wall, but this will compromise audio. The audio is my number 1 priority.

Good lord....that front end is truly epic!

Did you build the Dayton subs yourself? They look potent!

Yeah I bought the flat packs from parts express. Really easy! No cutting, just gluing things together for the cabinet. 

If I ever do a dedicated room again and needed more subs (which could be hidden), I would definitely go DIY over commercial subs. Rediculous value and you can customise the response to your specific room needs.  

Hey Al, thanks for your suggestions.

Yeah agreen Benq is quite inflexible interms of placement, given it's limited lens shift options. But it gives the largest screen size for distance from screen (aside from it's short throw cousin). 

So my constrainsts as follows:

Distance from back wall to screen - 3.87m

Screen size - approx 126" (for scope, which is 135" for 16:9 based on same horizontal distance).

The Benq is about 3.5m from the screen (which can give a max screen size of about 137" at this distance).

If I take the JVC x500, at 3.5m, the image size is 113" for 16:9 (based on the calcuator from projector central). I beleive the other JVC models and the Sony's were similar. 

Also note, the JVC (and sony) is a much large projector, so the lens will be further off the back wall and closer to the screen than the Benq.

My room is actually 4.5-5m long. But I lose about 1m at the front, as speakers and subs are behind the screen. I could place the screen on the front wall, but this will compromise audio. The audio is my number 1 priority.

hi super some good info that fills in the puzzle a bit more. I did some quick checks... yes jvc would get you 113" in the sonys depending which you went for a 65es would do about 117" and 500es about 122" but thats pretty pricey as a projector and not great value.

id question on the screen size though. as mentioned its all about immersion. if you go a slightly smaller screen and you just sit a tad closer for just as good immersion and the eyes and brain dont know any different. reason id question on the screen size is with a 135" screen you fully resolve 1080p from 5.34m. max thx viewing angle would put you at 4.74m and recommended viewing distance as per THX is 4.1m so siting where you are with screen you run risk of over resolving given back wall is 3.87m and cant sit any further back. 3 times image heights even for rule of thumb is 5.04m ?

looking at a jvc at 110" you'd be well within resolving 1080p as you would do that at 4.4m, still well within THX max viewing angle at 3.9m, and would get you on THX recommended distance if view at 3.3m, and well within the 3 times viewing height rule of thumb as well which suggests 4.1m. am not sure where you are sitting now distance wise but if move seats upto 3.3m say you probably got huge amounts to gain image quality wise with something like a jvc and they come up so cheap even second hand for kind of quality you get.

and audio wise being a priority if moving forward probably only to be  gain as will give a bit more room between you and rear wall and your seating to benefit of  smoother bass, better coherence of vocals plus giving a bit more room for your surrounds both side and rears and atmos above.

anyways just some thoughts - more along lines of gee theres got to be a way of fitting a sony or jvc in wht am sure is an awesome setup as it is :D  and yeah quite possibly all thoughts and gyrations have gone through yourself already. I know with any of this kind of thing can imagine a lot of thought effort goes in and at end matter of going what bests suits yourself, dollars, space and what end result you are after. and dare say pretty pleased as punch with what you are enjoying just as it is :)

• Like 1

hi super some good info that fills in the puzzle a bit more. I did some quick checks... yes jvc would get you 113" in the sonys depending which you went for a 65es would do about 117" and 500es about 122" but thats pretty pricey as a projector and not great value.

id question on the screen size though. as mentioned its all about immersion. if you go a slightly smaller screen and you just sit a tad closer for just as good immersion and the eyes and brain dont know any different. reason id question on the screen size is with a 135" screen you fully resolve 1080p from 5.34m. max thx viewing angle would put you at 4.74m and recommended viewing distance as per THX is 4.1m so siting where you are with screen you run risk of over resolving given back wall is 3.87m and cant sit any further back. 3 times image heights even for rule of thumb is 5.04m ?

looking at a jvc at 110" you'd be well within resolving 1080p as you would do that at 4.4m, still well within THX max viewing angle at 3.9m, and would get you on THX recommended distance if view at 3.3m, and well within the 3 times viewing height rule of thumb as well which suggests 4.1m. am not sure where you are sitting now distance wise but if move seats upto 3.3m say you probably got huge amounts to gain image quality wise with something like a jvc and they come up so cheap even second hand for kind of quality you get.

and audio wise being a priority if moving forward probably only to be  gain as will give a bit more room between you and rear wall and your seating to benefit of  smoother bass, better coherence of vocals plus giving a bit more room for your surrounds both side and rears and atmos above.

anyways just some thoughts - more along lines of gee theres got to be a way of fitting a sony or jvc in wht am sure is an awesome setup as it is :D  and yeah quite possibly all thoughts and gyrations have gone through yourself already. I know with any of this kind of thing can imagine a lot of thought effort goes in and at end matter of going what bests suits yourself, dollars, space and what end result you are after. and dare say pretty pleased as punch with what you are enjoying just as it is :)

Some great advice Al! Thanks for that.

I'm sitting about 3m from the screen, and at that distance, 135" 16:9 is definitely too big. Feels uncomfortable. 

The 126" scope is quite good though (although at times I've also felt this is too large).

I might play around with reducing the image size to what a JVC/Sony could achieve, and see how I feel about it.

Kudos to the Benq though, it does a lot right (I fortunately don't suffer from rainbow affect). I liked it a lot more than my previous Epson TW3500 I had. The colours are so vibrant. 

But the blacks really come up short. I know the JVCs are renowned for this.

Anyway, I won't be making any changes for a couple of months, as I promised my wife that I was done with the room. Need to give a bit of time for the dust to settle :)

Congrats Super, two very classy and well thought out systems, you must be stoked, some serious boom behind that screen too!

Enjoy!

Cheers mate. 

I put a lot of time (in research) and money into sound proofing the room. I wanted to be able to enjoy the boom, without the police showing up at my front door. 

Wow. Is that 6 subwoofers in the front?

There are 4 single 18" subs (DIY) and a JTR Cap S2 (which is dual 18"). So 5 in total.

EPIC HT system, congratulations.

Bit of a fan of the 18' speakers myself, there is no replacement for displacement   :thumb:

Haha, tell me about it :)

The 18" is a sweet spot in cost/performance (for DIY anyway). 

But if this was a shared space, no way would I have been able to convince the Mrs to let me have even a single 18". 

I'm sitting about 3m from the screen, and at that distance, 135" 16:9 is definitely too big. Feels uncomfortable. 

The 126" scope is quite good though (although at times I've also felt this is too large).

Yeah I sit 4.5m from a 120" 16:9 and that's the maximum I'd ever want to go. 

I put a lot of time (in research) and money into sound proofing the room. I wanted to be able to enjoy the boom, without the police showing up at my front door. 

Solved: give them a couple of cold beers when they come inside and put a few episodes of COPS on - they'll do the rest with the "noise complaint"...  ;)