SOLD: FS: Sansui AU-D11 120WPC integrated amplifier - diamond differential super feed-forward

Item: FS: Sansui AU-D11 120WPC integrated amplifier - diamond differential super feed-forward

Item Condition: excellent electronically and very good cosmetically

Reason for selling: assisting a friend

Price: $750 firm

Payment Method: Pickup - Cash

Extra Info:

For sale is a very clean Sansui AU-D11.

A friend owns TWO of these beasts. I've restored one for him in the past, and he has now asked that I sell the other one on his behalf. The amp was previously up for sale in September 2014 but was withdrawn from sale at the time.

If it weren't for there already being two AU-D11's in the skippy124 Sansui Museum, I'd be keeping this one myself.

The AU-D11 was top-of-the-line upon its release and is an evolution of the fabled AU-919.

It features an enhanced Super Feedforward DD/DC (Diamond DIfferential/Direct Coupled) circuit design with improved clarity and very low distortion. I own a number of Sansuis from various eras. Sonically, this amp is a step up vs the AU-717 and AU-719. It has the tonal goodness of the aforementioned amps, but steps up the clarity and transparency a few notches. IMHO this amp sits in between the sound of the warmer mid 70's examples, and the later AU-Alpha amps. It's an immensely enjoyable sound indeed. For anyone wanting a taste of the upper-end Sansui sound, I highly recommend this model..

The AU-D11 features a copper chassis, large transformer, eight Elna power supply filter caps, an unconventional fluid-filled cooling sysem, and a grunty 120 WPC. The phono stage is a sophisticated MM/MC setup with selectable high/low sensitivity and it sound GREAT!

The amp is in excellent electronic condition and very good cosmetic condition. It has been fully serviced, with the bias and DC offset adjusted to factory specs. This amp is quite complicated with six different DC offset measurement and adjustment points! Internally, the amp is original however it appears to have had relatively low use over its life.

Cosmetically, the front panel has a few minor marks which show up in the photos, including a fine scratch on the top edge on the left hand side of the amp. The top cover has been professionally restored a few years ago and looks very nice indeed. The copper chassis has the usual oxidation/darkening in places, including the rear panel, but presents well enough.

A little review back in 1981 (when this amp was $USD1000 brand new):

http://www.nytimes.com/1981/05/31/arts/sound-an-amplifier-that-gilds-the-lily.html

"What you get for the money is a superb instrument that defines the state of the art."

For the time being, this amp is pick-up only from Gledswood Hills, south-western Sydney. However, if you are interested in shipping, please let me know and I will create an EOI list. If I get no interest in a week or so, I will entertain shipping this beast. 

Photos:

AUD11%203_zpswvtbptc6.jpg

AUD11%201_zpsye159dhb.jpg

AUD11%202_zpsieccaq2b.jpg

AUD11%204_zpstxb7durb.jpg

AUD11%206_zpsgqv7tmbd.jpg

AUD11%205_zps6xp7cnwy.jpg

AUD11%207_zpskudz9uzd.jpg

aud117_zpsfc4287ce.jpg

aud1113_zps8e38532a.jpg

sansui-au-d11-1.jpg?w=540&h=757

sansui-au-d11-2.jpg?w=540&h=710

• Like 5

Hey Pete - sensational listing, as always.  Curiosity question - I've never seen a Sansui amp of this era in a wooden box.  They always seem to be in black metal boxes.  Is this box custom made?

DaveR

• Like 1

Hey Pete - sensational listing, as always.  Curiosity question - I've never seen a Sansui amp of this era in a wooden box.  They always seem to be in black metal boxes.  Is this box custom made?

DaveR

Hi Dave

The AU-D9 and AU-D11 (and the later AU-D11ii) all featured the wooden rosewood bonnet. It was certainly a step away from the late 70's black painted metal bonnets

What he said! :)

The finish on this example is particularly good - it was restored by a furniture restoration mob a few years back. I have yet to see an original cover in such good condition.

Bloody tempting Pete!  How does this compare to your x701?

MUCH closer than the AU-717 and 719 etc, that's for sure.  The Alphas that I own are more resolving and better amps overall, but the D11 strikes a beautiful balance between the older and newer Sansui sounds. It also helps that the D11 has a robust power supply and is quite grunty.

Edited by pete_mac
  • Like 3

Hi Dave

The AU-D9 and AU-D11 (and the later AU-D11ii) all featured the wooden rosewood bonnet. It was certainly a step away from the late 70's black painted metal bonnets

Thanks for that.  The only other Sansuis I have seen in wooden boxes are the 331/661/771 etc. receivers, but they were about a decade before this D11, yeah?  They do look dreamy in the rosewood.

D

• Like 1

Below is an excerpt form a review of the AU-D11 that Australian Hi Fi did at the time the AU-D11 was released (I would post the complete article except that I am not allowed to due to copy write reasons, but PM me if you would like a copy of the full article).

AU-D11%20review%20excerpt_zpstcokyol0.jp

Another thing to note with the AU-D11 is the excellent MC phono stage, which is very much the same as that in the CA-F1 Pre amp, and the legendary AU919. Australian Hi FI magazine said of the CA-F1 phono stage in a review they did back in the 70's "Phono reproduction was, in our view, flawless whether we used a moving coil cartridge, or one of the better moving-magnet cartridges"

Below is a description of the MC circuit implementation/design philosophy taken from the 919 service manual

AU919%20MC%20Phono%20stage_zpszjdr7zhs.j

Cheers

John

Edited by skippy124
  • Like 3

Congratulations on the sale of your item. If you feel you have benefited from using this system for the sale of an item through our classifieds system then please consider making a donation, or purchasing some StereoNET Merchandise.

-------------------------------------

Donation Payment Option

You can make a donation via Paypal (using Credit Card or Paypal Balance), or Direct Deposit.

Click below to make a donation:
donate-button.png

-------------------------------------

Merchandise Purchase Option

You can purchase one of our official StereoNET T-shirts, or other StereoNET merchandise by clicking the following link:
SNA_merch.jpg

Thank you, your support is appreciated and every dollar makes a difference.