acoustic zen adagio speakers

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone out there has had any personal dealings with Acoustic Zen ,more precisely the Adagio speakers, and are they more suited to tube or ss amps. 

Another question can anyone in layman terms explain Transmission Line speakers and the pros and cons of these.

Thanks Greg

• Like 1

Generally speakers with better than 90db efficiency will work well with low power tube amps. If the tube amp can deliver 40W or more it should work ok with any speaker depending on musical taste and volume preferred.

Transmission line usually just means an extended bass tunnel or port in a speaker. Think like a folded horn but not horn shaped.

• Like 1

Thanks for the input, unfortunately by budget certainly doesnt match my heart and the crescendos are out of my league

Maybe in the future ,who knows.At the moment its the adagios or another member here has a pair of usher mini dancer 2 for a reasonable price.

Cheers Greg

Just caught this thread @@pete_mac !

@@Mord, I have owned both the Adagios and Crescendos mated with Rogue Audio tube gear. 

This was some years ago now but both speakers were extremely enjoyable to listen to. The Adagios sounded very open and effortless. 

They certainly vanish from the soundstage. The Crescendos give you more of everything but do cost a lot more.

They go well with good quality tube gear as both speakers are relatively efficient. Probably not suited to SET amps but I did connect a 3.5W Miniwatt to the Crescendos once and was very surprised by the results! I didn't get a chance to try out a solid state power amp with either speaker. 

For long term listening pleasure I don't think you can go wrong with the Adagios Greg :)

• Like 1

Thanks Victor,

Very helpful, have a bryston 4bsst2 and pre amp, seems everyone is sugestingto go with a tube pre amp ,if ony I had those lotto numbers, life would be so easy.

Cheers Greg

You're welcome Greg.

I think the Adagios would go well with Bryston gear. The big power amp would really grip these speakers well.

Going back to an old showcase thread I had some 5 years ago I now remember I had a pretty beefy Conrad Johnson 350SA power amp to the Crescendos before they moved on. I used a Herron tube preamp and the results were impressive!

Here is a link to my thread, which is missing a lot of pics, which will still give you an idea of my earlier days in HIFI and Acoustic Zen. I don't think I was a member of SNA when I had the Adagios come to think of it.

http://www.stereo.net.au/forums/index.php/topic/32473-a-system-or-two-by-vmhf/?hl=%2Bsystem+%2Bor+%2Btwo+%2Bby+%2Bvmhf

Enjoy the journey and if you have any other questions don't hesitate to ask or send a PM.

Cheers,

Victor.

Edited by vmhf