FOUND: WTB: compact camera. Point and shoot type to $800

Bill125812

Hi guys

I'm sitting in the Melb airport ( work trip ) on way back to beautiful Brissy and thought I would post this.

I'm sick of the crap pics from my phone when I'm away. I have a nice DSLR but looking to buy a reasonable point and shoot camera

Prob to about $800

What's out there

I'd go for the Sony RX100 Mk3 every day of the week.

Thanks Gat474.

I'll have a look

Been looking at a Leica type 109 But pretty expensive new so poking to see what else is out there

Thanks Gat474.

I'll have a look

Been looking at a Leica type 109 But pretty expensive new so poking to see what else is out there

Go for leica dlux 6 then around $500 -$600 or leica x1 $700 - $800 . X1 focus a bit slow but beautiful camera .

Yes, I was going to say Sony RX100Mk.3 or RX100Mk.4. Easily the best compact camera out there. It has a very large sensor for its size. That is, if you want something that small.

If you are made of money and want an extremely high quality full frame sensor with a Zeiss prime, I would recommend the Sony RX1R II.

Yes, I was going to say Sony RX100Mk.3 or RX100Mk.4. Easily the best compact camera out there. It has a very large sensor for its size. That is, if you want something that small.If you are made of money and want an extremely high quality full frame sensor with a Zeiss prime, I would recommend the Sony RX1R II.

Certainly not made of money. But the Sony RX100 looks good

A bit over a year ago I bought a Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ40. It was on special at the time for around $240 (down from somewhere around $400), so I guess it was a runout model.

This was a really good buy, I like this camera a lot. It does everything so well, for a compact. Quite a good review here.

http://www.photographyblog.com/reviews/panasonic_lumix_dmc_tz40_review/

I'm not sure what the replacement model for this is, but might be worth checking out.

• Like 2

Gotta love those Panasonic compacts... :thumb:

bang on budget, so no need to go grey import. good to see bricks and mortar retailers being reasonable price wise, the original rrp was something like $1200 and street price $1k. so come down quite a bit ! so making a huge bargain without even a haggle ! 

http://www.digidirect.com.au/digital_cameras/panasonic/panasonic_lumix_dmc-lx100gnk_compact_digital_camera_-_black

http://www.digitalcamerawarehouse.com.au/prod11622.htm

• Like 1

bang on budget, so no need to go grey import. good to see bricks and mortar retailers being reasonable price wise, the original rrp was something like $1200 and street price $1k. so come down quite a bit ! so making a huge bargain without even a haggle ! 

http://www.digidirect.com.au/digital_cameras/panasonic/panasonic_lumix_dmc-lx100gnk_compact_digital_camera_-_black

http://www.digitalcamerawarehouse.com.au/prod11622.htm

@@betty boop,

I have barred and prohibited myself from buying grey imports, I learnt that in HK and China. Never touch the stuff again. I don't even buy stuff overseas any more, better of purchasing here that must adhere to all consumer rights, it's not worth it. My son learnt the hard way with his Canon 5Dll and an expensive Canon voom @2.8 Possible the safest brand to buy overseas is Apple, as that stuff is the same everywhere and its supported everywhere, no arguments, if it's under warranty the serial numbers are registered worldwide. Walk into any OEM Apple Store and it will be looked after.

• Like 1

Bill, I know photography very well and am using all pro gear this is intended to show you the weight of my post. I had a look at the RX100 suggested, it's still a PS camera with which images might suffer in low light condition. Where possible, you should consider mirrorless from Sony. I do not use them as I like pro equipment but I heard from many of my photographer friends mirrorless is very good especially for travelling as compared to heavy pro equipment.

Updated post, or mirrorless from Fuji.

Edited by vhd611
  • Like 2

Ricoh GRII APS-C Sensor and an interface designed for photographers...Brilliant camera infact one of the best little street cameras made.

Pick up any Ricoh compact and They are very user friendly cameras, has the best 28mm + zoom lens ever made with 1cm macro, however image quality is a let down compared to competition. I should know, I bought 3 different models as they progress in digital, then along came the Panasonic T2 waterproof with 28mm + zoom and things dramatically improved.....hate to break it to ya....

Ricoh still have a camera division, but hopefully the acquisition of Pentax will improve things. Ricoh are better known for there reprographics equipment. :thumb:

• Like 2

Bill, I know photography very well and am using all pro gear this is intended to show you the weight of my post. I had a look at the RX100 suggested, it's still a PS camera with which images might suffer in low light condition. Where possible, you should consider mirrorless from Sony. I do not use them as I like pro equipment but I heard from many of my photographer friends mirrorless is very good especially for travelling as compared to heavy pro equipment.

Updated post, or mirrorless from Fuji.

I'm also in the market for a similar camera/budget although I'm torn between PS and more manual options.

So forget about Bills needs and tell me what models if any you can recommend :D 

I'm also in the market for a similar camera/budget although I'm torn between PS and more manual options.

So forget about Bills needs and tell me what models if any you can recommend :D

having owned a mirrorless compact...the smallest on the market and a collection of lenses...I found by the time pop a lens on you might as well be taking your DSLR around. and there are mighty compact DSLRs from canon and nikon for instance the are very competitive size wise.

I'm finding between my iPhone, the lumix and dslr I seem to have all options covered :) you can get compacts with pretty big sensors and really great optics so if compact point and shoot is what you want its covered :)

• Like 1