Sony CDP X555ES saved (pics)

atavid

I had been having some intermittent trouble with my Sony X555ES cd player recently. Sometimes the cd tray would be slow to eject, then it would not stay in when loaded with a disc ,other times it would not play the first track.

I considered scrapping  the unit and even made enquiries about buying another CD player. But I really loved this old Sony ,I bought it new back in 1995 or therebouts and its performed faultlessly ever since. Not that I have used it much over all those years (all my audio gear was put in storage when our twin children arrived in “97 and only came back out in 2009)

Any way after looking into other CD player options I thought I might as well see if there was anything on the net about this problem with the Sony X555ES.I found some info but short on detail, so with some trepidation I opened up the Sony to see what was happening when I tried loading,playing and ejecting discs.

Of course I couldn’t actually see the gearing and slides so I decided I had to pull the disc and laser mechanism out to see if the gears and rail slides were clogged with dried up old grease as had been suggested by others in my web research. Actually a lot of the info out there often suggests that the laser is buggered .I knew that just couldn’t be right in my case because really it had not been used much since new.

What I found was that there was no grease at all on the gearing and I assumed that Sony may not have used grease on the latter builds of this player (I bought it just after it ceased production so I assume it was a very late model )

The brass slide for the drawer though was quite stiff and with a little very fine steel wool and some Teflon oil it cleaned up beautifully . Next I had a look at the motor drive belt and I could see that it had quite a bit of slack in it and some very fine cracks developing in the rubber.  I cleaned the laser lens as well just in case.

After some searching on the net I found a belt in a little electronics shop in Portugal of all places for the princely sum of $9.00 posted. I thought i will probably never receive this but what the hell its only 9 bucks.

In the meantime  I put it all back together and found that while the drawer certainly slid out smoother it still would play up at times by starting to slide back in but then hesitating and coming back out, and still wouldn’t play track 1.

About two weeks later a little letter arrived with the tiny drive belt inside .Surprise Surprise.

Yesterday I pulled the CD player apart again and fitted the new belt and while I was at it I sprayed some contact cleaner onto the two micro switches that others had said can be a problem if the contacts get corroded. I also very carefully put a drop of Teflon on a few other moving parts as well.

Put it all back together and it is working beautifully. Drawer slides in and out very smoothly and it now plays first tracks no problem.

I hope people don’t mind me posting this up ,its just that when I was searching the net for info it was very hard to find anything and I would have felt a lot more confident had I been able to find some detail about the problem which seems to be pretty common with not only old Sony players but other brands as well. I’m hoping this will help someone else consider having a go rather than scrapping their old player as I was about to do.

post-107166-0-89080400-1459657452_thumb.

post-107166-0-66994200-1459657480_thumb.

post-107166-0-61721800-1459657538_thumb.

post-107166-0-47859500-1459657761_thumb.

post-107166-0-11341800-1459657932_thumb.

post-107166-0-53402600-1459657969_thumb.

post-107166-0-29423600-1459658008_thumb.

post-107166-0-69338500-1459658028_thumb.

post-107166-0-47465300-1459658055_thumb.

post-107166-0-53823700-1459658076_thumb.

post-107166-0-06544700-1459658097_thumb.

post-107166-0-37163900-1459658118_thumb.

post-107166-0-82602100-1459658142_thumb.

post-107166-0-87568200-1459658163_thumb.

post-107166-0-65124600-1459658184_thumb.

Edited by atavid
  • Like 16

Thanks Telecine,I put it up so that someone else searching the issue might find it and feel confident about doing the job and not listen to all the naysayers who immediately declare a buggered laser .Its such a beautifully made player that it would be a shame to toss it in the sometimes mistaken belief that it was beyond repair.

Edited by atavid
  • Like 2

@@atavid - excellent post and well done on not giving up on a quality player.

Just this morning picked up my Sony X202ES which had issues with skipping etc so put in with my tech to fit a cheap replacement laser I got on ebay.

This ended up being a faulty unit so my old assembly was lubricated and cleaned with laser polished.

Also had caps on power supply and player replaced with Jamicon and Cerafine ceramic caps and one sweet sounding player immediately with flawless performance.  :thumb:

• Like 1

@@atavid - excellent post and well done on not giving up on a quality player.

Just this morning picked up my Sony X202ES which had issues with skipping etc so put in with my tech to fit a cheap replacement laser I got on ebay.

This ended up being a faulty unit so my old assembly was lubricated and cleaned with laser polished.

Also had caps on power supply and player replaced with Jamicon and Cerafine ceramic caps and one sweet sounding player immediately with flawless performance.  :thumb:

Yes there is a certain feeling of satisfaction in keeping older gear working is'nt there.Guess Pete_Mac understands that better than most.

I had a look at all the caps in my unit........ not that i would know much about them.... but i did not see any swollen tops so i presumed they were still reasonable at this stage.

Edited by atavid
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

Would be great if you could give us the name of the shop in Portugal as i need a new belt for my Sony cdp-308esd. having a few problems with my rubber belt being a bit tired. Even boiled it and then plunged it in cold water. It fixed it a bit but the tray still struggles to close sometimes without the help of a nudge. I am also aware that I am missing the little roller wheel, but I will check my parts bin when I get back to OZ to see if i have one there.

• 6 months later...

Hi Atavid,

I have almost the same problem with my CDP-X555es. Sometimes it loads the cd and don't want to play. I open the drawer and load it again. Then it starts to play. When the cd has ended, and I want to listen to it again, it won't read the cd anymore. Also when using 'peak search' I get some errors. So I open it up and watch what was happened. It turned out that when the cd is finished, the laserhead slowly moves to the end of the cd and a little further. Once you press play again, it seem to have trouble to find the TOC again.

I ordered a new belt on eBay this weekend and I will use you're guide for the repair. The only question I have now is, what brand of lubricant did you used? 

• 2 years later...

Bravo for publishing such an informative link!! So far my Sony 555ES works well, but when I opened the drawer last week, after not using it for some time, I noticed some hesitation.  While I bought it around 1991, almost 30 years ago, one can hardly blame the rubber belt in the drawer mechanism getting a little stretched and tired!! So today I mounted a new one, and cleaned and lubed the brass slide.

Your very instructive photos made it an relatively easy job. All in all it took me a little more than an hour to complete it.  The most complicated for me was to reassemble the drive unit.

Electro Andijk here in the Netherlands has this belt in stock. I used Techno siliconen spray as lubrifiant.

One can only admire the thoroughness with which Sony designed and manufactured this cd-player!!

Regards,

Jan Willem van Wijngaarden

Utrecht Netherlands

Edited by jwvanwijngaarden
Job finished today
  • Like 1
  • 4 months later...

Hi ! My name is Mario from Quebec city . Since 2 days now I own a cd player like your cd player = Sony CDP-X555ES .

The player have some issues :

1) Playing a song than all stop and message is 'NO DISC'  

2) Playing a song but skip some seconds even cd is nice clean the unit skip on a track even after changing track

3) Playing sometime all good = all the cd is read and everything is fine 

Here if you can list me all the kind of oil & lubrifiant & other product ( plz be specific cause here in Canada Quebec name soetime differe from Australia)

i need to clean the laser machanism and tray mechanism too... Since I talk habitually french ( i am french canadian) I would say sorry if i use bad english .

Thanks for your post I love to see detailed photos and explanations like these !

• 1 year later...