Sansui AU999 vs Yamaha CA 810

Hi Guys

Just wondering what I should get? I have the chance to get a Sansui AU999 from NSW in mint condition. Or I can get a Yamaha CA810 locally in mint condition also.

What do people suggest I should get?

Cheers

• Like 1

Hi Matt,

Whislt it pains me to say so (being somewhat of a Sansui Tragic), if they are both in original condition, then I would go for the CA-810. The AU-999 is a great amp, but in its original form is lacking bass depth an control (IMHO). However, there are some well documented mods/ upgrades that really open up the 999, and if these were done then I would most certainly take the upgraded 999 over the CA-810.

Cheers

John

The 881 is a great receiver, one of Sansuis best of that era in my opinion.

And don't get me wrong about the 999, it is pretty good in original condition, I have both in the collection and I think the 881 is a little better than the original 999 was.

Re the 999, there is a simple mod that can be done if it is one of the earlier units - there is a hard wired/always in circuit sub sonic filter that actually rolls off at about 60 Hz, and that is why there is a lack of bass (this filter can be relatively easily bypassed if you can use a soldering iron). The other mods are to do with the pre amp gain and frequency response, and are a bit more involved that the subsonic filter removal.

Cheers

John

Edited by skippy124
  • Like 1

Guest palexsia

Hi John . I saw an ad for sansui 11000 asking $2000.00 original cond . I have some question is the price is a bit high consider this amp have not been sevice still have old caps .... Is it good to buy or not ? Always curious to hear vintage ss Sansui to see how different to Sansui tube amps .

Thanks

Edited by palexsia

I've owned the 810 and listened to the 999 in a system of mine a few years ago. The 999 has that incredible silky mid-range that Sansui just nailed back n the 70's. I'm convinced that is THE main reason why Sansui AU series 70's amps are so popular. A lot of your listening pleasure and by default your ear is mid-range, and Sansui did it really well. Vocals are great, acoustic material really nice. Its a hangover from their 60's valve heritage..

]The 810 is more dynamic, and has a different signature. Classic neutral sound, and plenty of power. Good imaging and punchy bass.. Aesthetics I do prefer the 810. 

Both are good..

post-113548-0-17202800-1459677770_thumb.

• Like 3

Hi John . I saw an ad for sansui 11000 asking $2000.00 original cond . I have some question is the price is a bit high consider this amp have not been sevice still have old caps .... Is it good to buy or not ? Always curious to hear vintage ss Sansui to see how different to Sansui tube amps .

Thanks

$2k is a bit steep for an known AU-11000 IMHO, and they aren't cheap to restore properly. 

The 881 is a great receiver, one of Sansuis best of that era in my opinion.

And don't get me wrong about the 999, it is pretty good in original condition, I have both in the collection and I think the 881 is a little better than the original 999 was.

Re the 999, there is a simple mod that can be done if it is one of the earlier units - there is a hard wired/always in circuit sub sonic filter that actually rolls off at about 60 Hz, and that is why there is a lack of bass (this filter can be relatively easily bypassed if you can use a soldering iron). The other mods are to do with the pre amp gain and frequency response, and are a bit more involved that the subsonic filter removal.

Cheers

John

Yep, I agree. Anyone who has only heard a stock AU-999 has missed out on what they are capable of. Stock vs stock, the 810 is better IMHO (as is the 881 receiver). However, a modded AU-999 shows both of these a clean pair of heels. The stock 999 is hampered by some aspects of the original design which *should* be addressed during restoration (but often aren't). Once restored and modded, the 999 is great!

Aesthetics I do prefer the 810. 

attachicon.gif810-13.jpg

The Fez knows his stuff, and the aesthetic aspect is definitely something to consider. These two amps are polar opposites in this regard. Are you a black-faced bandit or a sultry silver suitor?  :)

• Like 1

Just out of curiosity does anyone have a mod pack for the sansui 999? Eg all high quality caps etc in a pack like this (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-CA-810-Upgrade-Kit-Audio-Capacitors-/161951318848?hash=item25b50d0340:g:ZtIAAOSwL7VWnRUw)

Not to my knowledge. You can compile a parts list from the schematic/service manual, and can research the various mods required to elevate the performance of the amp. Understandably, there's a fair bit of time involved in preparing this documentation, and you also need to have the ability to undertake the work itself.

Not to my knowledge. You can compile a parts list from the schematic/service manual, and can research the various mods required to elevate the performance of the amp. Understandably, there's a fair bit of time involved in preparing this documentation, and you also need to have the ability to undertake the work itself.

Thanks mate

I wouldnt have a clue thats the problem ;)

The mods I would like to do are the kevzep mods

AU-999 Bass EQ Control Mod BY Kevzep (LINK)

Metal film resistor 1MΩ ¼W 71-CCF071M00JKE36 x 2

Metal film resistor 2.2kΩ ¼W 71-CCF072K20JKE36 x 2

AU-999 Pre-amp Mod By Kevzep (LINK)

Metal film resistor 3.3kΩ ¼W 71-CCF073K30JKE36 x 2

Metal film resistor 1MΩ ¼W 71-CCF071M00JKE36 x 2

Metal film resistor 1kΩ ¼W 71-CCF071K00JKE36 x 2

Metal film resistor 2.2kΩ ¼W 71-CCF072K20JKE36 x 2

Metal film resistor 100Ω ¼W 71-CCF07100RJKE36 x 2

Does anyone have any of that stuff they can sell me? Like I said im clueless!!! ;)

What about the high quality caps everyone goes on about?

Panasonic FC/FM/FR or Nichicon PW/HE from Element14 or RS Components (locally) or Mouser (internationally)

Elna Silmic II caps from Partsconnexion or Mouser (internationally)

If you undertake the latest driver board modifications, one element of the work requires a 1.5uf or 2.2uf high quality polypropylene film capacitor for each driver board. Partsconnexion stock a variety of types in suitable physical dimensions, or a Panasonic polypropylene cap from one of the abovementioned suppliers will work (provided that you get the pin spacing right).

Don't forget all of the troublesome transistors that require replacement too.

http://www.stereo.net.au/forums/index.php/topic/88558-sansui-au-999-resto-raising-the-sonic-bar/

AU999%20sept%20driver%20modded_zpsv2twoz

Hi Guys

Just wondering what I should get? I have the chance to get a Sansui AU999 from NSW in mint condition. Or I can get a Yamaha CA810 locally in mint condition also.

What do people suggest I should get?

Cheers

the AU 999 is a good amp i like the sound and there easy to work on 

• Like 1

Interested to know what speakers you will be driving. I tried Rotels, Marantz, and Yamaha before settling on Sansui (tried a few diferent ones) for driving an old pair of AR's - precisely because of the beautiful mid range - no problem with bass either. Totally understand the visual aesthetic though.

Interested to know what speakers you will be driving. I tried Rotels, Marantz, and Yamaha before settling on Sansui (tried a few diferent ones) for driving an old pair of AR's - precisely because of the beautiful mid range - no problem with bass either. Totally understand the visual aesthetic though.

Altec 604-8k monitors 

something else i have done i found by ripping out this poor man's speaker protection EG crowbar circuit witch is crazy you have speaker fuses this has a lot more bottom end i think the triac goes a bit wonky blows fuse from time to time as well  

post-155564-0-79596100-1460239189_thumb.

Edited by sansui111

something else i have done i found by ripping out this poor man's speaker protection EG crowbar circuit witch is crazy you have speaker fuses this has a lot more bottom end i think the triac goes a bit wonky blows fuse from time to time as well  

Hmmm... the crowbar circuit shouldn't make any sonic differences - the removal of the subsonic filter definitely does. The red line is one channel with the subsonic filter sill in place, and the blue line is the other channel with the filter removed (thanks to skippy124 for the measurements and graph!):

AU999freqresponse20hz1KhzRCsubsonicfilte

Thanks for the feedback guys.

So which mods are a must for the Sansui Au999?

• Uprated filter caps (6800uf or 1000uf with a larger bridge rectifier) NIchicon KG Super Through are my preferred option.
  • Removal of subsonic filter circuit to significantly enhance low end bass response.
  • Preamp board modifications to rectify gain issue in the factory design.
  • Driver board mods.
  • Bass circuit mods.
  • Transistor replacements.
  • Good quality caps in critical locations (particularly the plug-in preamp/phono boards). 

Without undertaking all of the above, the 999 doesn't sound as good as it can.

The mods are all outlined in various threads on audiokarma, and some of my 999 resto threads have pics:

http://www.stereo.net.au/forums/index.php/topic/88558-sansui-au-999-resto-raising-the-sonic-bar/

http://www.stereo.net.au/forums/index.php/topic/52480-sansui-au-999-restoration-and-enhancement/  

http://www.stereo.net.au/forums/index.php/topic/75148-another-au-999-restoration/  (these last two restos doesn't feature the later driver board mods)

• Like 3