Marantz's Front Highs system vs Atmos and DTS-x ?

Interested to know if any others have tried out the Front highs option in the 8801 or 8802 pre pro's from Marantz? Yes its obvious that Atmos and DTS-x are taking peoples imagination and monies (Go @BB and @@Kazz etc) but if one wants to use the existing systems with out adding many more holes and wiring into their roof spaces, how good is it, I'd like to know your thoughts please? Also anyone who has it done what's it sounds like as an improvement or not given its "shaving" data of other fields to build its output to the front highs in some way, not track specific as in the newer Atmos and DTS-x systems etc.

hi ageless, I havent had the experience to be honest of comparing the efficacy of both systems as not come across anyone with both systems installed in the one. I have experienced both separately though. to perhaps some comment though am not sure how much will help.

with the 8801's front height ability really your tapping into

PLIIz

http://www.dolby.com/us/en/technologies/dolby-pro-logic-iiz.html

and audyssey DSX

http://www.audyssey.com/technologies/dsx

one similarity with atmos I can imagine these elevating your front stage literally raising it and giving some height info.

in limitations I cant it bringing info as atmos ceilings speakers do purely in not being able to decode given the 8801 capabilities.

however if you went I would say the standard Front height locations for marantz not only would you be able to use the front height capability now but build in the added advantage I would say for down the track if you ever updated to a 3D audio capable processor of being able to use these front heights without any other changes. below is the suggested front height location by marantz.

Pict%20SP%20Layout%20DTS%20NeoX_UJDCILyw

Thanks @BB for the info and thoughts and you touch on some good points. Bbar has suggested that front wides are perhaps a better choice for these amps? But as you know my room's shape would practically rule that out while my 2.9M ceilings don't.

Intersting. Would upfiring atmos be a better option than front heights?

It could be if I was to invest in changing up my 8801 but atm that's not part of my spending plans, Rather explore what I can gain from using what's available to best effect which is why I'm asking about it AG. Though the 8801 can take in the signal but process it differently to the newer 8802.