HELP Amplifier failures and problems

Some of you know I had issues with my Sansui AU3900. I have an optonica Sa-5100. It blew the fuse today. I replaced the fuse and it lights up but no output. My Quad 405-2 all of a sudden makes a bad hum when turned off that lasts 10 seconds then fades out. One of my Yamaha hs50m monitors gave out all of a sudden. I really have no idea whats going on but I don't want to use anything at the moment, I'm so paranoid. No other devices are having problems just amplifiers. Is it just coincidental or something else?

Some advice needed.

Edited by Quadmad

Sorry to hear about your problems @@Quadmad.

It sounds like it's possible that you may have had some spikes in your 240v mains.

My advice would be to get an electrician to come and check your mains and earth.

There is plenty of shoddy wiring in a lot of the houses in Melbourne and Sydney (especially the older houses) and it wouldn't hurt to get it checked.

It may be worth checking or possibly replacing your power boards too.

Best of luck getting your amps fixed and working right.

Edited by Martykt
  • Like 1

I used silver teflon coated on the Quad, response Jaycar copper on the sansui & Optonics & the monitors use XLR. With the monitors & protools rig, I have A surge a Jaycar surge protection board. It hasn't tripped.

Edited by Quadmad

In the case of the 1st amplifier with the blown fuse, fuses don't go for no reason unless something decides to short out and draw heaps of current. It sounds like that something (most likely a SS component such as a diode or transistor) has given up, that's why replacing the fuse hasn't fixed that problem and it really needs a trip to seek professional help. DONT CONNECT THIS UP TO YOUR SPEAKERS OR ANY OTHER SOURCE COMPONENTS UNTIL ITS FIXED! The second reason is if the amp doesn't have speaker protection it is likely to cook the coils of your drivers as DC is present at the output, then again if it does have speaker protection then it's likely they are tripped preventing output to your speakers and is doing its job, hence no sound.

I have no idea on the 2nd amp you have mentioned that when you switch it off it "hums for a moment" maybe ZB will chime in and give us an opinion on this. However I have notice some amps that have been in the house (Brought around by other SNA members) produce some squealing noise as they power down, if your amp has speaker protection then you most likely won't hear this as its power down. In some, it's likely some components or circuit will be out of tolerance and need to be replaced.

My $0.01 cents worth of sharing....:P

UPDATE: I opened my yamaha powered monitor, this is modern gear & current. It also blew a fuse. Here is my theory. That morning I spotted a german cockroach. I found a small nest behind my fridge. Those who know about these pests know they love warm places. Anyway, I killed them with surface spray at the nest and made a surface spray boundary at the kitchen. That night while at my desk, One crawled half dead on the desk & killed it instantly. I recon some might have got away and got into the gear, looking for warm places to migrate to. The amps are the warmest appliances in the house & I had used all that day. The monitor is bass reflex so has a port and an entry point.

Edited by Quadmad

Urk. Cockroach infested audio equipment. Not a nice job to fix. 

Oh come on, you make my place sound like the house of horrors. :(  Those little bastards are indiscriminate & stow away in all sorts of gear, maybe yours :P . But I'm gonna sue the neighbors anyway.

Edited by Quadmad

Urk. Cockroach infested audio equipment. Not a nice job to fix.

In that case don't accept the job, those roaches if not exterminated properly will escape to infest your place of residence/work....when you see one there's thousands more you can't see!

Back in 88 I was flown to Brisbane to help the branch out for 2 wks, got a message to do overtime to remove roach infestation in fax machines, I seriously thought this guy was having me on, but he was serious, I was gob smacked when I witnessed it myself, I never saw such infestation, the worst I got to remove was a mice that accidently stood on live tracks on a copier psu, should have seen the look on its face, talk about a stiff frozen moment in time! It was stinking the place out! I also was gob smacked on the size of these roaches, they were huge, could have put the fax machine on its back and walked out the premises with it! :P

• Like 1

In that case don't accept the job, those roaches if not exterminated properly will escape to infest your place of residence/work....when you see one there's thousands more you can't see!

Back in 88 I was flown to Brisbane to help the branch out for 2 wks, got a message to do overtime to remove roach infestation in fax machines, I seriously thought this guy was having me on, but he was serious, I was gob smacked when I witnessed it myself, I never saw such infestation, the worst I got to remove was a mice that accidently stood on live tracks on a copier psu, should have seen the look on its face, talk about a stiff frozen moment in time! It was stinking the place out! I also was gob smacked on the size of these roaches, they were huge, could have put the fax machine on its back and walked out the premises with it! :P

EVERYONE has cockroaches (including Chez Beeblebrox). But I know from long experience how unpleasant servicing equipment which is cockroach infested can be. Cockroach excreta can certainly cause serious problems and equipment so affected may need a very careful cleaning. 

Well the monitor is fixed, no luck with the optonica yet. I'm not too worried about that 1. I've decided to tackle the Sansui Myself. The Quad is going out to Dada & Pest control is coming in! So is an electrician.

Edited by Quadmad