Sourcing a VAM1202/12 Philips CD Mechanism

G'day all.

My CD Player (Esound E.5 Signature) uses the Philips VAM 1202 CD mechanism.

My player only reads about 60% of discs these days, and it can be quite frustrating. Does anyone know where I could source a genuine replacement?

The tray and mechanism seem to work fine, just the lens/laser are playing up, and failing to read discs. Have tried a heap of lens cleaner CD's available, none seem to work so guess it's shot.

Not sure I can buy a replacement lense only, so am looking at buying the whole mechanism.

A few VAM 1202/12 are listed on ebay, but most are chinese, and not sure they are genuine.

I have a local member willing to swap it in once I have one sourced.

Or should I boat anchor it, and buy something else? It's a very nice disc player........when it works.  :)

Tough one Chris. There are some very nice CDPs show up in these classifieds that temp me, even though I am (pretty) happy with my digital playback.

Hi Mike,

Yes..have seen a few of them listed in the classifieds. I do usually play more vinyl than cd, but some of my fave albums are only on CD, and it's a bummer when the player won't read them.

Thing is, I can rip the disc onto my laptop using CDPlayer XP or other program, and then burn a copy. And my CD player will play a CDR EVERY time. But I shouldn't have to do that. :(

In general I find the Ebay CD Mecks very hit & miss -

They are cheap enough so maybe worth a punt.

+1

It took me 5 tries before I found one that actually worked.

There is quite a large counterfeit market on Philips VAM 1202 assemblies on ePray these days.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

+1

It took me 5 tries before I found one that actually worked.

There is quite a large counterfeit market on Philips VAM 1202 assemblies on ePray these days.

Norm,

Do you use standard anti-static precautions?

Like antistatic mat on your workbench, wrist-strap, etc?

Maybe I was lucky that the first unit I put in worked and perhaps lucky again that Marantz CD-17 uses servo that does not require any adjustments, but it all went rather smoothly.

Norm,

Do you use standard anti-static precautions?

Like antistatic mat on your workbench, wrist-strap, etc?

Maybe I was lucky that the first unit I put in worked and perhaps lucky again that Marantz CD-17 uses servo that does not require any adjustments, but it all went rather smoothly.

Yes, yes and yes.

Although all 5 units were sold as Philips VAM 1202 assemblies, they were all different from one another.

I have heard the opinion that no proper, brand new laser assemblies exist and all that we are being offered now are either old units rejected in the 90-ies and new units now made in China as copies of old designs.

But then some fine things are being now made in China and there should be no reason (other than difficulty in final QA testing) why currently made stuff should be inconsistent.

I have a spare that was briefly used in a NAD 510 until I broke the NAD 510.

I would try adjusting the trimpot for laser focus or gain it seems your laser is losing its focus and power.

Here is a diyaudio thread with a user facing the same problems (same player):

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-source/113453-help-philips-vam1202-12-alignment.html

Edited by DefQon

• 2 weeks later...

No need to trash your CD player - replacing the VAM1202 unit is a breeze - I have done it successfully with my Marantz CD63SE. Even if you are not mechanically minded - it is still an easy job. Just take photos of the unit before you remove anything and use them as a reference when you are putting in the replacement unit.

Most of the replacement VAM1202 units are made in China nowadays. I still have two Japanese made ones as spares.