FS: Orpheus Silex Turntable

Please don't forget to check the Classifieds Guidelines before posting this classified ad. You many delete this text from your advertisement.

Item: Orpheus Silex Turntable
Price: ebay
Item Condition: Seems OK
Reason for selling: Clearing out late-Father's house
Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Paypal, COD Only
Extra Info:

This item is listed on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/291727013487?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

Pictures:

Out of interest what do these normally go for?

I paid around $150 for the square version about 5 years ago. Seem to go for around $250 or more depending on the condition.

Duc has fixed up a few you could ask him.

They look great but are a little agricultural in operation. Interesting whether that what seems to be modifications improved it any.

I paid around $150 for the square version about 5 years ago. Seem to go for around $250 or more depending on the condition.

Duc has fixed up a few you could ask him.

They look great but are a little agricultural in operation. Interesting whether that what seems to be modifications improved it any.

Elaborate further please? Thought they were pretty but always wondered about the performance.

I have two of these, the square and the rounded corner one. When the suspension is sorted and the motor is shielded like this one the performance is superb. I have a Thorens TD124 early model and this is every bit as good. For a fraction of the cost of a 124 or even the awful LP12, you can have a giant killer.

• Like 1

Elaborate further please? Thought they were pretty but always wondered about the performance.

Think they are typical of stuff built in Australia around that time. Like it was built in the back shed. . . . probably was.

Its not a precision piece of kit like Lenco, Garrard etc. Still a clever design (maybe the first suspended belt drive ), has a heavy platter suspended by the three armed bearing. They used bushes, that will need replacing, some use springs, could use sorborthane bushes or a combination. I tried both.The bearing is heavy, has a 9mm ball and bronze bushes. Mine is worn and noisey.

Has a large ac motor suspended by bushes again, which is suspended by the idler which is suspended from the deck. Bushes again. Mine again is a little worn and vibrates and motor was more noisy than id like.The idler is connected to the pully wheel, so the motor turns the idler, using a tappered spindle, easy to adjust for correct speed, which intern turns the belt wheel. Belt is a large O ring. Lots of torque.

Lots of potential, but would require a bit of work.

Duc /lovetubes has refurbished a couple, speak to him.

Im going to have another go at mine one day.

Edited by awty
  • Like 2