Identify Earth stake outside my house

I had a good look around the outside of the house and I think I have found the earth stake outside.

Wondering if anyone might confirm this could be it?

It seems since it rained a bit lately, my stereo is sounding a lot better. I am looking at maybe getting an electrician in to put a new Earth stake in to replace the old one.

If I have the right one, then it looks very old.

Worth looking into?

post-107190-0-84036300-1459562506_thumb.post-107190-0-40276900-1459562512_thumb.

Edited by rocky500

I don't think that's it mate. They are normally solid and have the earth cable clamped onto them. I could be wrong though. How old is your house? Older houses used to have them on the water feed into the house, I think that's illegal now?

Check near taps or main line in.

That maybe phone cable?

You can give the earth stake a good soaking if the soil is pretty dry. Should give a better earth.

Edited by Pops110

I don't think that's it mate. They are normally solid and have the earth cable clamped onto them. I could be wrong though. How old is your house? Older houses used to have them on the water feed into the house, I think that's illegal now?

Check near taps or main line in.

That maybe phone cable?

You can give the earth stake a good soaking if the soil is pretty dry. Should give a better earth.

It is an old house, from the 60's.

I think it used to be on the copper pipes but was changed maybe 20+ years ago.

This is the only one on the outside of the house that I can see and I have looked. It is pretty close to the feed to the house and meter box.(in between actually) I even had a look under the house.

I have read online that older systems in the past can sometimes use a type of galvanized pipe driven into the ground as the earth stake?.

Edited by rocky500

Perhaps run an extension lead to the "stake" and measure resistance between the "stake" and earth pin of the lead.  If the "stake" is earth or common with the true earth it should be a very low resistance.  If it is just a hunk of pipe in the ground then I'd expect it not to be "very" low resistance.

No expert but this is what I'd try.

Maybe a WA thing

Maybe cause of the sandy soil to get the earth deeper.

We use to have galvanised pipe earth stake, but was copper wire clamped to the pipe. Also the galvanised water pipe was clamped as well.

Do you have circuit breakers and modern wiring? If not have it done asap. They can update the earth if necessary.

You can buy plug in earth testors at most electrical stores.

Looks like it might be the phone cable.pipe maybe just for protection.

Oh and sometimes the house was not reearthed after the plumber switched to plastic pipe, so you might not have an effetive earth!!!!

Edited by awty

Do you have circuit breakers and modern wiring? If not have it done asap. They can update the earth if necessary.

State of the art fuse box. :)

Do you think it is ok? The electrician we use are fantastic and have been around quite a few times for other things.

post-107190-0-06471400-1459569796_thumb.

• Like 1

Yes definitely looks like telstra cable.

I have seen a few houses that haven't been earthed after the plumber replaced the metal pipes with plastic.

Earth stake should be near or next to meter box.

Get an earth tester and or a sparky to check it out.

State of the art fuse box. :)

Do you think it is ok? The electrician we use are fantastic and have been around quite a few times for other things.

attachicon.gifIMG_3763.JPG

Youd imagine they would of checked and there would be an earth somewhere.

Only an sparky is qualified to answer that.

Yes definitely looks like telstra cable.

I have seen a few houses that haven't been earthed after the plumber replaced the metal pipes with plastic.

Earth stake should be near or next to meter box.

Get an earth tester and or a sparky to check it out.

Telstra makes sense too. Time to get a sparky to have a look.

Mmmyes....most earth/ground stakes will look like this

post-145321-0-33866400-1459573667_thumb.

As others have said, that is most likely Telstra line.

Have seen plenty of them like that in old gal conduit.

:)

I don't think the earth stake is going to have 'any' bearing on the 'sound' of your system!

I think your right but I have been trying to nail down why my system sounds so different during the day/night.

It rained recently and now it sounds great in the day but it has been only a couple of days, so could be anything. :)

Thought I would check out the earth stake as it must be pretty old now.

I think your right but I have been trying to nail down why my system sounds so different during the day/night.

It rained recently and now it sounds great in the day but it has been only a couple of days, so could be anything. :)

Thought I would check out the earth stake as it must be pretty old now.

By all means get it checked out. It is meant to be important, BUT don't get caught up and lead yourself down the garden path, so to speak, there's probably a much more 'valid' reason why your system sounded different!

Wouldn't hurt while a sparky sorting out the earth to get a price on a new switchboard. You could also see about running a separate circuit for your audio.

Some early wiring was done using rubber thathas perished over the years. We rewired our house and some of the insulation would crumble in your hands.

Im a plumber and no earth stake and fuses in the swith board makes me very nervous. Need to check the metal pipes arent live before cutting.

Wouldn't hurt while a sparky sorting out the earth to get a price on a new switchboard. You could also see about running a separate circuit for your audio.

Some early wiring was done using rubber thathas perished over the years. We rewired our house and some of the insulation would crumble in your hands.

Im a plumber and no earth stake and fuses in the swith board makes me very nervous. Need to check the metal pipes arent live before cutting.

I renovated the back audio room and got them to put in a new dedicated line straight from the switchboard, just for my stereo.

It is the bottom RCD that is sideways.

Edited by rocky500

Yup, I am in the process of having a new house built and have requested a dedicated spur that will only supply my hifi.

I used to get a buzz from my refrigerator at my old house every time the compressor kicked in, annoyed the Sh#t out of me.

I reckon a dedicated spur and earth is the best way to go if you can manage it

Was hoping to identify my earth stake outside, so that the day my stereo started sounding a bit off again, I could go outside and give it a water, :)

Neighbour - What are you doing?

Rocky - Watering my earth stake to improve my soundsystem

Neighbour - post-145321-0-95050200-1459579800_thumb.

I am already ahead of you there. I was going to put a plastic plant near by so it looked liked I am watering that. :)

I like the way you think

:D

Although....you could set up a hose and solenoid valve and have it remote controlled from the listening chair for max scientific testing

;)

But make sure it IS the earth and not the Telstra...of course

:unsure:

Edited by Dirty_vinylpusher

The location of the earth stake if not at the switchboard should be written somewhere inside the switchboard. This is normal practice. For example my previous house had "EARTH STAKE UNDER STAIRS" written on the switchboard.

Otherwise I would definitely get an electrician to check it out, possibly it is connected to the copper waterpipe as other SNA's have mentioned.

Edited by Whites

The location of the earth stake if not at the switchboard should be written somewhere inside the switchboard. This is normal practice. For example my previous house had "EARTH STAKE UNDER STAIRS" written on the switchboard.

Otherwise I would definitely get an electrician to check it out, possibly it is connected to the copper waterpipe as other SNA's have mentioned.

However with plastic water pipes there is no guarantee you have an actual connection to the MEN system.

Got me exited there but unfortunately nothing written down.

Time to go under the house again. We have a cramped crawl space and this time I am going in. :)

Yup, I am in the process of having a new house built and have requested a dedicated spur that will only supply my hifi.

I used to get a buzz from my refrigerator at my old house every time the compressor kicked in, annoyed the Sh#t out of me.

Absolutely, a dedicated circuit for your hifi will deliver benefits.  :thumb:

I did that 30 years ago in the last house.  Then, during renovations about 8 years ago, I had this one dedicated hifi circuit replaced by two circuits - which delivered an increase in SQ.

So my current house, designed 4 years ago, takes this idea to the max - a dedicated phase for the hifi, with a separate circuit for each component.  But even so, a small bar-fridge next to the hifi room - and on a different phase - caused a 'click' through the speakers, every time the motor switched on.  :(  So I had to put one of my hash-filters between the fridge & the wall-socket, to stop the clicks. :(

So I would recommend that for a new house build, you put in as many hifi-dedicated circuits as you can - for SQ reasons - but you may still hear clicks when various house items switch on.

Regards,

Andy

No stakes that I could see under there.

A few unused copper pipes lying around but nothing into the ground.

It did snake around to the rest of the house but that is away from the meter box and it looked dark back there.

post-107190-0-96981600-1459585623_thumb.

post-107190-0-57327100-1459585633_thumb.

post-107190-0-80960500-1459585638_thumb.