In wall options...

Howdy folks,

I know there's been some threads about in wall speaker options, but because it's never interested me in the past I've never paid much attention. However, I have a buddy who is keen for his living room. I know there's some good stuff out there, just hoping for some suggestions that I can throw his way.

I can't really provide a budget, he's happy to spend coin providing he can see the value - like everyone I guess! Anything from a few hundred to a few thousand for fronts would be good, and a matching center would be my request because he definitely wants a 5.1 system. No, I haven't bothered googling yet...😕hoping to be steered in the right direction right off the bat!

All recommendations welcome!

• Volunteer

I have Definitive Technology in-wall in our lounge room, they were hell expensive a few years back but amazing. Downside, the rear wall backs onto what has become my daughters bedroom (she wasn't born when we installed the system), and it's impossible to have the rear speakers on now when kids are in bed. Loads of leakage so something to consider.

I did hear the onwall / inwall Audiovector speakers in one of Melbourne HiFi's rooms late last year and I was truly amazed at the sound quality and range of them.

• Like 1

I have Definitive Technology in-wall in our lounge room, they were hell expensive a few years back but amazing. Downside, the rear wall backs onto what has become my daughters bedroom (she wasn't born when we installed the system), and it's impossible to have the rear speakers on now when kids are in bed. Loads of leakage so something to consider.

I did hear the onwall / inwall Audiovector speakers in one of Melbourne HiFi's rooms late last year and I was truly amazed at the sound quality and range of them.

Thanks Marc. The install walls just lead to outside and a pathway, so no issues there with leakage. Thanks for recommending DT and Audiovector, I'll pass those details on as well as Al's suggestions.

To be honest, I've never heard an in wall set up either in a show room or privately, so am starting from scratch myself.

marc not sure if deftech provide some back boxes, but I used the dynamat dynaboxes for my in ceilings I did for 3D audio and they are extremely good to prevent leakage the other side. apart from the dyna boxes dynamat also make other wall cavity devices just for this kind of thing that are also easily retrofittable…where the original maker doesnt provide something similar themselves.

• Like 1
  • Volunteer

Quite correct Al. I deal with Dynamat already, but haven't tried those boxes. Might be worth looking at, but truth be told once two sets of prying little fingers came along, I removed even the AVR from the loungeroom. The rears are no longer in use (for now).

Quite correct Al. I deal with Dynamat already, but haven't tried those boxes. Might be worth looking at, but truth be told once two sets of prying little fingers came along, I removed even the AVR from the loungeroom. The rears are no longer in use (for now).

understand, I posted some pics in the link below of the boxes.

http://www.stereo.net.au/forums/index.php/topic/59834-where-the-divas-sing/?p=1581242

super impressed with the end result :)

marc not sure if deftech provide some back boxes, but I used the dynamat dynaboxes for my in ceilings I did for 3D audio and they are extremely good to prevent leakage the other side. apart from the dyna boxes dynamat also make other wall cavity devices just for this kind of thing that are also easily retrofittable…where the original maker doesnt provide something similar themselves.

Yep, bookmarked the dynaboxes you've linked to in your other thread, at the very least I expect them to be used for the rears in his living room, but will look closer at in wall applications if required. Sound level absorption I don't expect to be an issue, but performance wise I'd like to improve the inherent issues with in walls where I can...

Yep, bookmarked the dynaboxes you've linked to in your other thread, at the very least I expect them to be used for the rears in his living room, but will look closer at in wall applications if required. Sound level absorption I don't expect to be an issue, but performance wise I'd like to improve the inherent issues with in walls where I can...

definitely and id suggest on walls rather than in walls if can go that way instead. just cheaper and for sound quality possible.

while what I used was for in ceilings, they appear to have these for in wall....

http://www.dynamat.com/architectural-home/architectural-home-enwall/

doesnt appear to use a box as such...and not sure how effective. if planning to use the in ceilings in wall, probably want to check on dimensions etc to make sure kind of thing could fit in :)

Thanks Al. He's very adamant to use in wall speakers, I suggested on wall as well as bracket mounted bookshelves, but he's set on in wall. Having said that, he's not exactly buying tomorrow so I might try and press for the on walls in the meantime!

Dollar cost won't so much be an issue, but more so athetics. He listens to his wife more that most of us!

Edited by Kaynin
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

My mate is the one purchasing, I've sent him an email with the above suggestions, and he'll decide over the next couple of months.  He's renovating a house, so it will be a while before he pulls the trigger...

Feel free to update this thread if you purchase in the near future!

• Like 1

Check the VAF soundwall - not cheap but highly likely to pass the WAF test.  Good sound.

I think there is a new Melbourne location where a dealer has one installed, but don't know where that is. Ring VAF if interested.

• Like 4

Recently installed a pair of Martin Logan Edge in-wall speakers for a client - really impressive speaker with no subwoofer in the mix. Offered to being a sub out after running-in period but the client said don't bother!

• Like 1

What about krix?

I'm a big krix fan!

Thanks for the tip, I've just looked at their website, they sell quite a bit.  To be honest, not sure where Krix fit in to the level of speakers, but I'll be guided by the pricing I guess.  By chance, have you heard any?

Anyone tried the Paradigm, Jamo or Kef in walls? They have bezel less options that can be painted so high WAF

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

Yeah, I'd also be keen to hear any comparisons that people have done.

for interest I found this info on the Acoustic Frontiers site regarding the installation of a "Baffle Wall"

http://www.acousticfrontiers.com/20131129baffle-wall-case-study-acoustic-frontiers-demo-room/

and some other info on baffle walls

http://www.acousticfrontiers.com/2013322baffle-walls/

an extreme solution - but includes discussion around suitable speakers and subs that could be deployed "in wall" also.

cheers

Mike