RECOMMEND A DESKTOP COMPUTER.

TOPSHELF

Hi Brains trust,

I am looking for a desk top computer, wireless modem

I have done a fair bit of searching here and on the net but this area of life moves so fast i would like to ask in the moment.

It will be used for Internet, skype or Hangouts, storing phone pictures, controlling my Music server, burning video camera footage and email a good anti virus company would be good.

Budget for computer and modem about 2K.

Even if people can recommend minimum specs i should look for then that would help. It would be nice for this to work for the next few years......

Thanks all.

An iMac

• beautiful to look at,
  • works all the time,
  • no need to update daily,
  • almost no need to run virus and all the protection stuff,
  • is very quiet.

I am talking from experience having an iMac that still works well when it is 6 years old, with a mac mini that is 4 years old as well as 2 Windows laptops that is a lot newer. Love the laptops but the viruses and the constant Windows and Microsoft etc updates drives me insane.

If you do decide to go the Windows route my preference would be the models where the hardware and screen is on the same enclosure - just like the looks. 

The latest Windows offerings are touch screen - I don't need it but some people like it.

Whatever you do - take the option with the biggest capacity for ram and the fastest hard drive for the operating system.

• Like 2

When you say burning video camera footage, are you going to be doing editing of the footage and to what degree?

Much better value in piecing your own system together, but not everyone has the skills or confidence to assemble themselves (though it's generally very easy).

Whatever you do, don't buy from Harvey Norman/JB/Good Guys UNLESS you are after a laptop. Laptops are good for portability and space-saving, but terrible for upgrading (practically impossible), the batteries have limited lifespan and many these days don't have optical drives (not to mention smallish screen sizes).

Something like this will get you a very good computer that will last at least 4 years for performing the tasks you've mentioned;

Redback 960 system from Scorptec

Add a screen, modem, keyboard/mouse (if you don't already have a set) and operating system and you're set. Avira has a very good free antivirus program, however the best protection is education and knowing what not to click/open.

• Like 2

Thank you for the replies so far, going apple was a possibility but building a desktop like @@Muon has shown is a candidate too.

I am interested in this microsoft v apple thing not because of brand v brand more the practicality of both and as metioned before the constant windows updates.

The wife and i both have non apple phones.

We switched to iMacs at home and at the office in 2010, all still going strong and virtually no issues on 7 machines. We still have a Windows server and Acer touchscreen all in one at one of our shops.

It is always the Windows machines causing us grief. I would not call myself overly knowledgeable in regard to IT issues, but can set up all our Apple desktops easily despite growing up with Windows. If we have Windows issues, more often than not I pay somebody else to fix it. I'll never go back to windows. If you want to run windows I'd still recommend doing so on an Apple computer. Even though the specs may not read as good as similarily priced PC's, real world speeds are just as good.

If you buy an iMac, KEEP THE BOX. Very handy, if like me, you occasionally need to use it in a different location. I sometimes need the 27" screen for my photo editing so bring it home with me if I have a couple of hours work, rather than trying to get by on my laptop.

Edited by blybo
  • Like 1

Put it together yourself from parts from MSY.

You'll get better value and a better system.

If you're not confident doing this I'm sure a local SN user would help pick parts and put it together for you.

Whatever you do DONT buy a system from Hardly Normals or the like.

• Like 2

Thanks everyone it's great to see both sides of peoples experiences with the two big players.

I am slowly coming together with the list of desirables and i am almost square eyed from reading. Please keep chipping in brains trust....

Definitely ensure you include an SSD drive of at least 256 M capacity to keep your O/S and major programs installed on. A 2nd larger drive can be used for your data but your operating speed will be improved with the SSD drive by a major factor

:) Windows is fine if it is installed off line, never updated, ever and has no anti virus installed  ;) but that's just me.  :sarc: sorry for OT

Put it together yourself from parts from MSY.

You'll get better value and a better system.

If you're not confident doing this I'm sure a local SN user would help pick parts and put it together for you.

Whatever you do DONT buy a system from Hardly Normals or the like.

OMG, someone else who calls them the right name. My dad calls them hardly normal too XD.

Edited by N1TRO
Guest rmpfyf

If you're not keen on maintaining it, +1 for the iMac.

If you're super keen on maintenance... Linux does all that!

Windows is somewhere in the middle. 

(We run all three at home for various tasks).

Unless 'burning video' means you're editing video, nothing you've mentioned is particularly tough to do - and even then, unless you're wanting to master 4k at industry speeds, most PCs will edit video without much problem.

Even a NUC will do it - unless you start gaming in anger or needing to store massive amounts of data on that PC (not on an external or network drive), that's probably what you'd do - neat, clean, quiet. Gigabyte has a related line called BRIX. Some are silly quick. Many clip to the back of a monitor, so you effectively get an iMac-like experience - check this out, fr'instance... http://www.computeralliance.com.au/gigabyte-brix-gb-bsi7ht-6500-core-i7-2.5-hdd-support-with-gigabit-network - add an SSD, RAM, monitor, camera, keyboard, mouse and OS and you're away, with a pretty quick four-core (hyper threaded) i7 CPU.

http://www.intel.com.au/content/www/au/en/nuc/overview.html

http://www.gigabyte.com.au/products/list.aspx?s=47&ck=104

The iMac you need is ~$1700.

If you're going to do serious video editing there are other things to consider - particularly a second-hand workstation - nothing you'd build out of MSY would compete on build quality and integration. 

You could do it on $1200 though I'd probably spend close to the midband. 

A suggestion? Get the best monitor, mouse and keyboard you can afford - I don't mean extravagant, more that your chosen tasks seem to involve a lot of contact hours with your PC, and quality here makes a different (not least to your eyes). FWIW - this is something the iMac gets very right. Not saying you can't replicate that in Wintel land, just that it's probably worth getting down to an Apple dealer and seeing what it's like (if you've not already). 

Edited by rmpfyf

A suggestion? Get the best monitor, mouse and keyboard you can afford - I don't mean extravagant, more that your chosen tasks seem to involve a lot of contact hours with your PC, and quality here makes a different (not least to your eyes). FWIW - this is something the iMac gets very right. Not saying you can't replicate that in Wintel land, just that it's probably worth getting down to an Apple dealer and seeing what it's like (if you've not already). 

Last time i checked macs used Dell IPS panels.

You can't go wrong with something from the Dell Ultrasharp range really. I've got 5 of them.

Guest rmpfyf

Last time i checked macs used Dell IPS panels.

You can't go wrong with something from the Dell Ultrasharp range really. I've got 5 of them.

No disagreement here (I've got 2 Dell IPS myself). They're excellent.

Just be careful where you make compromises to reach that 1200 mark, as some will shorten effective longevity/upgrade ability.

I take it you factored in the OS when looking at a 1200 budget?

$1200 is less than my budget, i really want to get this right first time.