SOLD: FS: Ortofon Cadenza Black MC Cartridge

Item: Ortofon Cadenza Black MC Cartridge
Price: $1400
Item Condition: Excellent - estimated 200-300hrs use
Reason for selling: Funds for digital upgrade
Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Paypal, Direct deposit
Extra Info:

Ortofon's top Cadenza line MC cartridge. Great sound in all respects and somewhat similar traits to the upmarket A90 (which I've also owned). Superb tracking.

Estimated 200-300hrs of use - little use over the past 12mo due to other pursuits. I've previously owned the Black's predecessor - the Ortofon Jubilee - which used the same Shibata stylus -  and found it to have a super long and consistent service life.

Current Aust retail appears to be $3600, though I've seen it advertised for $3239 - in any case this is a steep discount for potential purchasers of this cartridge.

Original box and accessories.

Specifications:

Output voltage at 1000 Hz, 5cm/sec. - 0,33 mV
Channel balance at 1 kHz - < 0,8 dB
Channel separation at 1 kHz - > 27 dB
Channel separation at 15 kHz - > 20 dB
Frequency range at - 3dB - 20 - 60.000 Hz
Frequency response 20 kHz - 20 kHz - +1,5/0
Tracking ability at 315Hz at recommended tracking force *) - 90 µm
Compliance, dynamic, lateral - 16 µm/mN
Stylus type - Nude Shibata on Boron cantilever
Stylus tip radius - r/R 6/50 µm

Tracking force range - 2,0-2,5 g (20-25 mN)
Tracking force, recommended - 2,3 g (23 mN)
Tracking angle - 20°
Internal impedance, DC resistance - 5 Ohm
Recommended load impedance - > 10 Ohm
Cartridge body material - Stainless steel Aluminium
Cartridge colour - Black/Black
Cartridge weight - 10,7 gram

*) Typical value

Pictures:

post-109646-0-09827700-1459490843_thumb.

Edited by Tobes
  • Like 6

What loading have you found to be the best fot this cart?

Since moving to an integrated my options are severely compromised (100 & 400) so was wondering whether this would work ok or would I not be able to get the best out of it.

Since moving to an integrated my options are severely compromised (100 & 400) so was wondering whether this would work ok or would I not be able to get the best out of it.

I've got a Cadenza Black too although it's not in use at the moment. It was very happy at 470 ohms as were the Jubilees I had prior to the Cadenza. (moving from the Jubilee to the Cadenza Black was the natural step). I don't believe you would be getting anything but the best out of the Cadenza with the 400 loading option you have.

• Like 1

The Cadenza Black is very unfussy about loading.

As can be seen by the specs above, loading is recommended at 10 ohm or greater.

I've tried loading my Black from 20Ohm all the way to 47KOhm and I couldn't pic any difference.

So I've got it loaded at an even 100Ohm.

A bargain basement price for a great cart!

When I had the SS Rowland Capri 2 pre with phono I loaded the Black at 100ohms and preferred that to 400. I've typically preferred lower loadings with my MC carts.

With the Choir Audio SUT into MM stage, I tended to use the 1:30 taps - which would present ~52ohm load to the cartridge. 

I haven't really found the Black to be that fussy about loading - i.e. it could sound slightly different but personal preference as to what is preferred.

• Like 1

Congratulations on the sale of your item. If you feel you have benefited from using this system for the sale of an item through our classifieds system then please consider making a donation, or purchasing some StereoNET Merchandise.

-------------------------------------

Donation Payment Option

You can make a donation via Paypal (using Credit Card or Paypal Balance), or Direct Deposit.

Click below to make a donation:
donate-button.png

-------------------------------------

Merchandise Purchase Option

You can purchase one of our official StereoNET T-shirts, or other StereoNET merchandise by clicking the following link:
SNA_merch.jpg

Thank you, your support is appreciated and every dollar makes a difference.