Denon DP 75 and DP80 direct drive TTs. Any good??

expat

Getting interested in old Japanese direct drive TTs. Technics SP10's are getting expensive. Denons seem good value but are they in same league. Pioneers P3/P10 way too xxxey. If anyone with experience of these Denon's that could give some advice, it would be grateful appreciated.

Keith

Guest Hensa

I think the Denons are excellent and a (relative) bargain in the vintage DD context. The DP-57, DP-59, DP-60 and DP-67 as well as the DP-75 and DP-80 are all excellent spinners. They are not, however, in the same league as the Exclusive P10 and P3 nor the SP-10 Mk2. They are more in line with the Pioneer PL50L and PL-7L, Yamaha GT750 and 1000 and Victor (JVC) QL-A75 and A95 and similar. Very good DD decks but a rung (or two in the case of the Exclusives) down from the elite vintage decks.

Thanks Greg. That's the sort of thing I need.

I read that ascending numbers equate to better decks, ie 80 better than 75 which is better than 67 and so on.

Is this correct?

Keith

Guest Hensa

Thanks Greg. That's the sort of thing I need.

I read that ascending numbers equate to better decks, ie 80 better than 75 which is better than 67 and so on.

Is this correct?

Keith

In terms of quality and the ascending model numbers, partially yes, but the numbers also changed based on the year of release. For example, the DP-60 was released a couple of years earlier than the DP-57 and DP-67, both of which were, theoretically at least, improvements on the DP-60 (predominantly with respect to the tonearm). So, a combination of ascending numbers and chronology of release (the DP-67 was superior to the DP-57 and released at around the same time).

Edited by Hensa

• 3 years later...

I have a DP75 which I picked up for a reasonable price a bit over a year ago. It was a one owner original from a deceased estate. It has a DA307 tonearm which apparently isn't the best, but mounted with one of the late Duc's wood bodied 103R carts it sounds really nice, media quality not withstanding. I can only compare it to my Technics 1200Mk2 with a 2m black cart. Two different beasts really. I like em both. 

The JVC TT-71, 81 and 101 are comparable to the Denons and generally a less expensive buy. Like all of these old decks it's a good idea to recap for longevity. The control chips used cannot be easily replaced.