Post a photo of the first album you bought with your own money

With a tip of the compliments hat to RockWiz for the music-lover's question, please post a mugshot of your first album or CD (or cassette, or...*) that you bought with your own money. Do you still own the album? Is it that copy, or a replacement?

*my shot to come later. Anyone posting a screenshot of a music download will be 'Liked' (but only if it's flac) 

ELO - Time

post-112425-0-98006500-1459423022_thumb.

Grade 10 I think - the album was just out so that gives a date

Mike

edit - 1981

still own it, but now listen to the rip of the CD

Edited by almikel

51TgLVjPxWL._SY355_.jpg

UK 1st press. It was a new release and I was 12, so I'm an old bastard. I sold it about 4 years later but kept the booklet. A year or so ago I bought another UK 1st pressing, minus it's booklet, so the record and I are once more complete. 

• Like 2

I don't have it anymore (stolen of all things) so no photos. But it was Meatloaf - double cd set of bat outta hell and dead ringer. I believe I was 17 at the time.

Edited by Jone5y

Released in '78 and the first full size album purchased with my own earnings.

Long since gone, and replaced.

It happens to still remain as one of my top half dozen albums.

post-103759-0-02181000-1459424456_thumb.

Edited by soundfan
  • Like 5

1981..... A great year for music. And this is how I started!:

post-117460-0-07377600-1459425317.jpeg

No longer own that vinyl copy but did buy another maybe 18mths ago, at the missus' prompting so she could listen to 'You weren't in love with me', for the princely sum of $2.

Not absolutely sure it was the first album but certainly the first I remember going out and buying. Bought it in 1971 ish while on holiday. It sat in the back of the car in the sun all the way home. Needless to say it was warped by the time I unwrapped it. I didn't care, it played well enough for years. Still my favourite Stones album and an album which I will always own in one form or another. Given away along with all my other albums around 1982. They were all destroyed in a Nottingham flood a few years later.

.post-111035-0-69493200-1459425505_thumb.

Edited by buddyev
  • Like 6

I don't have it anymore (stolen of all things) so no photos. But it was Meatloaf - double cd set of bat outta hell and dead ringer. I believe I was 17 at the time.

LoL - proper photo of the actual album? I missed that specific detail and just googled a picture of the first album I bought :unsure:

Not absolutely sure it was the first album but certainly the first I remember going out and buying. Bought it in 1971 ish while on holiday. It sat in the back of the car in the sun all the way home. Needless to say it was warped by the time I unwrapped it. I didn't care, it played well enough for years. Still my favourite Stones album and an album which I will always own in one form or another. Given away along with all my other albums around 1982. They were all destroyed in a Nottingham flood a few years later.

.attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

did your version have the real zipper? never seen one of those

Released in '78 and the first full size album purchased with my own earnings.

It happens to still remain as one of my top half dozen albums.

Off topic, but I got into Dire Straits just before "Love Over Gold" came out and saw them at Brisbane's Festival Hall for that tour in 1982 - my first rock concert - amazing!

51qHLsahIuL.jpg

Bought the CD with my own pocket money in 1992, at the "Colt 70" record shop in the "Galeria Metro Universidad de Chile" in Santiago for 6200 chilean pesos. That was bloody expensive, seeing how all CD's cost 5400 chilean pesos at the time. Still, gave it a good run in my dad's Philips CD player for many years to come. "Headlong" was on repeat most of the times. The Metro station still exists, but the record shop disappeared many many years ago.

Silly me, gave it to my sister once I bought the "Platinum Collection", didn't know about the loudness wars back then. I reckon it's still in a shelf in Chile somewhere at my folk's.

• Like 1

loses the impact by having to click - but awesome first album!

Edited by almikel

First album I bought with money received at Christmas / Birthdays was Men at Work, Business As Usual.

post-104640-0-45232800-1459459581_thumb.

First albums I bought with my very first pay was this AC/DC box set.

post-104640-0-65134200-1459459622_thumb.

Still have both of them.

• Like 1

Wow @@surprisetech, same first LP, Explosive Hits '75, when I was 7.

post-150418-0-88892400-1459464789_thumb.

First Cassette was Destroyer by KISS

post-150418-0-68027900-1459464820_thumb.

I still have the KISS cassette, not sure if the LP is still at mum's place or been tossed over the years.

Those first ones were closely followed by these, all on cassette:

post-150418-0-68826700-1459465184_thumb. post-150418-0-48146100-1459465193_thumb.

Pretty good taste for a 7-8 year old I think!

Cheers,

Jason.

• Like 1

image.jpeg

Ahhh my first truly magical experience you can see the trepidation in her eyes

A Queensland lass

The music was good too -Caruso if I remember it correctly

Edit I've had to replace the wax cylinder several times increasingly hard to find

Since the pianola roll disintegrated it's my only remaining source component

Edited by djb
  • Like 1