EOI: Garrot Brothers Upgraded Sumiko Blue Point Special

Item: Sumiko Blue Point Special with Garrot Brothers Retip/Upgrade Work

Price: $750~
Item Condition: Like New from Upgrades
Reason for selling: As usual trying to upgrade...
Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Paypal, COD Only
Extra Info:

Essentially I have a good chance to buy a nice turntable with a great arm, and an Ortofon Jubilee thrown into the deal if I can raise the difference, as much as i'd love to just hang onto this beauty, it's simply not as good as the $3000+ Jubilee, and i'd rather have a better main cartridge without a backup, than just a nice cartridge in its place.

The cartridge was upgraded & re-tipped by the Garrott Brothers and has had no more than a few hours of use since.

The upgrades done cost more than the cartridge itself as i'm told nearly $1000 was poured into it, and the reviews seem to indicate it being worth every cent.

Current Pricing is $800+ without upgrade ($549USD + Post, I can't find an Australian Price)

http://www.stereotimes.com/acc072402.shtml

Pictures:

So, um...

...what is it?

Exactly what it says under item at top of listing.

A Sumiko Blue Point Special cartridge, with re-tip and other work carried out by Garrott.

Edited by soundfan

One is in pieces because someone fell over onto it... The other LP12 I sold a couple of weeks ago, no other toys at the moment.. Just waiting to get my hands on the new one, hopefully with the jubilee in it... But that'll probably only happen if this sells. Otherwise it'll be a nice deck with the sumiko in it I guess..

If you were eyeing off the Linn though I have heard of one with a bit of work done to it coming up in the future somewhere in the sub $2000 mark..

Wow Garrots charge that much for retip?

OP did mention that the cartridge was upgraded, but he hasn't elaborated on what was done.

I paid $460 for re-tip of my Garrott P87 MC cart around a year ago.

Edited by soundfan

Ok,

It appears I might have been a fraction mislead with the big U word.. It appears the only upgrading services offered are in relation to the cantilever/stylus.

Prices range from about $450-$850 for this particular cartridge depending on what was used (Pricing as of 10 minutes ago), and the original owner sent it down with the instruction of use the best of everything. If it generates interest I am happy to organise Garrott Brothers to do an inspection for assurance to the new owner which will also come with a certificate to confirm exactly what was done to it.

Incidentally I can also help with great prices on Ink cartridges. Postage may reduce the effectiveness of this buying method though... :)

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I am temporarily withdrawing this item from sale, as it will be used at least for the time being in my Delphi when I get it. May consider relisting at a later stage after I form an opinion on its sound.