Orpheus Aurora or similar

I'm considering the latest Orpheus Aurora 2 floorstanders for my 4.5 x 4.5m room. I know they were released a couple of years back now.

Just wanting some feedback from those who've listened to these, or the previous versions.

The latest Auroras have wedge-shaped cabinets. Has anyone compared the sound quality to previous square-shaped versions?

My trusty NAD M3 amp will be doing the honours.

Thanks for reading.

Edited by goldiver

It really depends on what level of sound quality you are seeking. These are good speakers without being awe inspiring or different. They are good value, honest "journeyman" speakers that won't ever offend but may not inspire. I quite liked them when I heard them and they are definitely good value for money on a cost V quality basis, it's just that they are firmly middle of the road without any wow factor.

Len Wallis has the Apollos for sale and the Aurora can be auditioned at the factory by prior arrangement if you are in Sydney ( AFAIK )

I lived with the previous signature version of the aurora 3s for over 6 years. They were my introduction to this hobby and I remember them very fondly. I could be I don't a great deal changed between the version I owned and the current version other than curved cabinet. I never had a chance to compare the two sound wise.

I bought my auroras just before they changed so the current version must of been released nearly 9 years ago. I'm sure much has moved forward in that time and you might find newer speakers more advanced in terms of design and materials. In the end you need to let your owns ears decide.

@@goldiver

I've had the Aurora 3.3 since 2009 and have been quite content with them. I haven't compared them with the previous model. The spec sheets show slightly better bass extension with the curved cabinets (more rigid/less colouration), but the drivers and layout are unchanged so I imagine the general sound signature would be similar.

My frame of reference is limited - I haven't heard a lot of gear - but I think the Orpheus are good speakers. The sound is well balanced and works with a wide range of music, even crapulous 1920s jazz and blues recordings. They are very good with mid-range/vocals. Treble is clear without being edgy or tiring. Bass is good too, but being rear ported they need some room behind them or it gets a bit boomy. They are pretty easy to drive, so amplifier choice quite open. I've mostly used a fairly modest 50W integrated.

I think they are good value, especially if you can find a pair second hand.

Thanks for that feedback - that's a big help.

I'm short-listing several compact floorstanders in this price bracket, including the Q Acoustics Concept 40, and the Wyndham BR1 at a slightly higher price. With only a smallish space I have to watch out I don't overpower the room.

The idea of buying a more recent design makes sense I suppose.

Edited by goldiver

The idea of buying a more recent design makes sense I suppose.

I think it's a matter or buying speakers with a different voicing, rather than buying a more recent design. You can buy plenty of recent/modern speakers with similar voicing to the Orpheus speakers (on the polite and musical side) or speakers with brighter or more revealing tonal characteristics.