How can I stop my tonearm wires touching the record?

blakey72

Not familiar with your turntable and arm setup but can you get to the base of arm where cables come out and gently pull the slack to there rather than at the headshell end?

Not familiar with your turntable and arm setup but can you get to the base of arm where cables come out and gently pull the slack to there rather than at the headshell end?

wouldn't recommend this at all you can easily break them.

Not sure if this would work ,if not terminated as they go back in to the arm, can you pull them back through a bit ,so they are shorter.

Beaten to it. .

Edited by EVcali
  • Like 1

Wouldn't suggest using any more force than what would have been used to wire the arm in the first place though. Hence the word 'gently'. I was able to do this with my Audiomods arm (which has a Rega arm tube).

Way more wire there than needed so try pushing it back in as suggested if possible.  Other option that won't look neat is to see if the wire will wrap around the headshell/tonearmt to use up some length with enough left to still plug in.

EDIT: send photos to Project and ask why it's like that and what *they * suggest.

Edited by E.Man

If you unplug them and pass them over the top of the headshell then plug them back in, does that work?

I wouldn't recommend pulling on them. I used to sell the Pro-Jects and from memory the one piece carbon fibre tone arms had rubber grommets, specifically to keep the wires from pulling either way. 

EDIT: Jinx!

Edited by RankStranger
  • Like 2

If you have some tweezers, you can gently push the excess wires back into the tonearm. This is the best solution, but it really helps if you have tweezers like these: 

31J78Fi8mfL.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Those wires are way longer than needed. Has the arm been re-wired?

If it were me, I'd snip the wires and resolder to the cartridge clips rather than coiling up etc. Not difficult, but the appropriate tools/skill are needed.

Those wires are way longer than needed. Has the arm been re-wired?

If it were me, I'd snip the wires and resolder to the cartridge clips rather than coiling up etc. Not difficult, but the appropriate tools/skill are needed.

Sounds like good advice to me.

I had a Project 9cc arm and the wires were much shorter and thinner than those. Something is not right with that setup, I bet the arms been rewired at some stage. I agree too that cutting them to length is the best way to go, get some cartridge connectors first though if you don't think you can reuse the existing ones.

Edited by HypnoToad