Augie March Vinyl

manchu

May be of interest to some here.

Augie March back catalogue is being released on Vinyl in April. Pricey, but not too bad with 20% off at Readings during April. Some great tunes so I'll probably grab at least one.

http://www.readings.com.au/products/21705810/sunset-studies-vinyl

http://www.readings.com.au/products/21705796/moo-you-bloody-choir-vinyl

http://www.readings.com.au/products/21705801/strange-bird-vinyl

http://www.readings.com.au/products/21705784/watch-me-disappear-vinyl

Quote Augie March email:

"Well...after many years and quite a few false starts, our first four albums are to see the light of day on vinyl. Finally.

That's right, 'Sunset Studies', 'Strange Bird', 'Moo, You Bloody Choir' and 'Watch Me Disappear' are very soon to be released on vinyl. The first three are double albums housed in gatefold sleeves, while 'WMD' is a single LP.

The release date is Saturday April 16 - as part of Record Store Day. For those of you in Australia, you can try your local independent record store - or, if you prefer, you can order online now via Readings, who are offering a 20% discount on all vinyl sold throughout April. They will post it out to you on Monday 18 April."

• Like 4

Thanks OP, I ordered the first 2 albums yesterday. Readings are showing a discount for April but who knows if the albums go upto RRP. Cannot imagine too many were pressed of these.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

1 hour ago, Y B said:

Yes! Utterly disappointing :(

Disappointing Max, but not unexpected.  Care to name a single Aussie artist on the Sony roster that has anything approaching a half decent pressing on vinyl?  I avoid anything with the dreaded Sony label on it because in my experience their products are utter garbage.  I know my thoughts are shared by a large independent record store in Sydney who were the first to point it out to me.  I listened to over a dozen Sony releases while in store one day and to an album they were a disgrace.

Hopefully someone from Sony picks up on these comments and they start using some decent pressing facilities, not the cheapest which is clearly the current policy (at least from my experience - happy to hear differently from someone who can name a recent Sony Aus artist with a good pressing, 'coz there's some real talent there on that roster).

• Like 1
11 hours ago, ABG said:

Care to name a single Aussie artist on the Sony roster that has anything approaching a half decent pressing on vinyl?  I avoid anything with the dreaded Sony label on it because in my experience their products are utter garbage. 

Hopefully someone from Sony picks up on these comments and they start using some decent pressing facilities, not the cheapest which is clearly the current policy...

I tried to name one but nothing. I too have started to avoid Sony Music and those eith  Legacy labels that flooded the record stores recently. Some of them have very good SQ but almost always come with excessive surface noise...

Edited by Y B

I tried to name one but nothing. I too have started to avoid Sony Music and those eith  Legacy labels that flooded the record stores recently. Some of them have very good SQ but almost always come with excessive surface noise...

I can only think of one that has both good sound quality and no surface noise or pressing issues - Peter Garrett's A Version of Now is an excellent pressing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No surface noise issues with mine 3e6a08825d531e28ed7618d4ebd2f587.jpg

That's great to hear you've got a quiet copy. As I was returning Sunset Studies, I was deciding whether or not I should try another copy. But too often I will just get a similar noisey one from my past experience. And I was too lazy to come back to JB Hi-Fi as it was my already my second trip in two days. I might give it another try when the next sales is on.

I hope someone else have a better luck! :)

Actually I've found that certain carts don't highlight surface noise much. The Hana EL is in that category.... Also installing Dynamat Extreme on the underside of my platter quietened things considerably though at the expense of dynamics. I've ordered a new Cork mat to see if I can reverse that as it did on my table downstairs, though retaining the nice black background: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/221524557910?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

9 minutes ago, MattyW said:

Actually I've found that certain carts don't highlight surface noise much. The Hana EL is in that category.... Also installing Dynamat Extreme on the underside of my platter quietened things considerably though at the expense of dynamics. I've ordered a new Cork mat to see if I can reverse that as it did on my table downstairs, though retaining the nice black background...

Yes I find that too, some records are significanly noisier on my Rega Apheta than the Shelter 7000. I have also tried a few different mat. The Horizon Leather/Cork composite mat seems to do what you have described, at the end I prefer the felt mat to retain the dynamics.

Yes I find that too, some records are significanly noisier on my Rega Apheta than the Shelter 7000. I have also tried a few different mat. The Horizon Leather/Cork composite mat seems to do what you have described, at the end I prefer the felt mat to retain the dynamics.

Mmmm, I'll bet that Shelter sounds nice. I've never heard a bad word about that cartridge brand

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk