Is Audio/Electronics 'a general interest', 'an obsession' or 'somewhere in between' for you?

Hey all,

The reason I raised this question is because audio/electronics (including say home theatre too) has been a huge savior for me. Its my biggest interest to the point where it has become an obsession but not one that I think is unhealthy, quite the opposite. 

I believe I suffer from compulsive thought syndrome, so if there is something on my mind in life or maybe something I wish I could change there is no way to stop it from repeating in my mind "compulsively". I am always reminded of something I can't change. I used to be very big into cars, I used to change cars every 4-5 months and end up so "obsessed" with the idea of the new car that I would sell mine at a great loss to move onto the next car. As a result its effected finances in quite a bit (put the house deposit 2.5 years forward, so it was an expensive mistake) .

I can easily just come home from work and chill out finally, its a huge relief off my mind. I often come home and chuck on the ps4 and enjoy it in the home theatre. Having some little items on my list to upgrade my setup in the future (after house of course hehe) makes for something to look forward to.

Was wondering what others experiences are like when it comes to dependencies on an Audio/Electronics interest.

• Like 1

Isn't that obsessive thought rather than compulsive? Same..same I guess.

Meh...It's a distraction and time waster for myself, and I like to tinker sometimes and find some aspects interesting. If I wasn't on here I would barely think of audio much at all.

It's neither a general interest or obsession for me, after acquiring the stereo system that I was truly happy with some 10-11 years ago, I've been stuck on my listening chair enjoying the music I own. I've only recently surfaced again as I was interested in adding a music streamer to possibly expand my enjoyment. If it wasn't for this, I'd probably still be happy for another decade.

It's a serious hobby for me in as far as my wallet will allow. Decisions on new gear are made carefully after savings have been accrued, without compromise to any of life's necessities.As a result ,I don't swap gear out frequently.I wish I had the budgets of some of our fine fellows here on SNA,but alas it isn't so. Having said that,you do have to treat yourself every now and again. I do ,however listen to music every day.

Life is too short. :)

• Like 5

It's a serious hobby for me in as far as my wallet will allow. Decisions on new gear are made carefully after savings have been accrued, without compromise to any of life's necessities.As a result ,I don't swap gear out frequently.I wish I had the budgets of some of our fine fellows here on SNA,but alas it isn't so. Having said that,you do have to treat yourself every now and again. I do ,however listen to music every day.

Life is too short. :)

Me too. I want the new Yaqin MS33B phono stage to replace my MS23B dammit. Maybe if I were to sell the MS23B first it would be easier.

Sent from my HUAWEI MT7-L09 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

All of the above for me I reckon....

:unsure:

I like tinkering with stuff, in general, including electronics...

Once an idea goes past a certain point, as in "hmm I could probably build that"....that idea and project becomes an obsession.

Most of my projects are somewhere inbetween functioning and completed.

Yes, I agree with cafe67,without motorcycles and ,motorsport addictions, I could get really serious about Hi Fi, but I think I need all them all. It's a fine balancing act between the three, also funds have sway,......Cheers,....Bugs

• Like 1

I'm in the group with too many "interests" competing for limited time and dollars, with the result I don't seem to pursue any of them with the level of commitment I'd really like to

But, I think non-audio friends and rellies would probably identify audio as my major leisure interest.  I should probably play it down a bit as I think some see it as weird to be genuinely interested in something other than cricket and footy.  Going to an interstate audio show f'rinstance is probably indicative of obsessional behaviour from their point of view. :unsure:   

• Like 2

An obsession ? Well lets see

1 Spend 15 to 20 hours per week in front of the hifi

2 A lot of time on line browsing Stereonet, Hifido etc

3 Have a vintage tuner on the bench undergoing a recap

Oh dear who has the number for the Perth AA branch ( Audioholics Anonymous?)

• Like 1

I'm in the group with too many "interests" competing for limited time and dollars, with the result I don't seem to pursue any of them with the level of commitment I'd really like to

But, I think non-audio friends and rellies would probably identify audio as my major leisure interest. I should probably play it down a bit as I think some see it as weird to be genuinely interested in something other than cricket and footy. Going to an interstate audio show f'rinstance is probably indicative of obsessional behaviour from their point of view. :unsure:

Yes, me too. Sound system, electric guitar, off-road driving and karaoke [emoji6]

Ahh, don't sweat or feel too guilty about it. If you weren't doing this you'd be under the hood working on that V8 engine every weekend for hours on end, doing stain glass windows or artwork to the nth degree of finesse, playing 18 holes of golf for 6 hours a day (away from your wife and family) or doing ballroom dancing hanging out with all the dags and Priscilla Queen of the Desert at the dance hall, maybe be on your kness praying to whatever deity that influences you? It's all a question of work-life balance and essentially the same, whatever floats your boat and keeps you interested in life I reckon.

What I tell everyone about my audio interest is that I am 'into making beautiful music' - which is an art form in itself and worthy as anything else they might do or are interested in.

Cheers,

Steve.

Edited by Steve M
  • Like 1

Ahh, don't sweat or feel too guilty about it. If you weren't doing this you'd be under the hood of that V8 engine every weekend for hours on end, doing stain glass windows or artwork to the nth degree of finesse, playing 18 holes of golf for 6 hours a day (away from your wife and family) or doing ballroom dancing hanging out with all the dags and Priscilla Queen of the Desert at the dance hall, maybe be on your kness praying to whatever deity that influences you?

That all sounds like a bit to much hard work, and some of it a bit disturbing.

I think I'll just kick back relax have a drink and listen to some music. :):hiccup

• Like 1

I think that music is my obsession. Has been for 40 years. In the last 10 years, since the kids all found their own lives, then playback equipment has been a constant source of interest, frustration & delight. Yep, I can't stop fiddling with my kit ;)

• Like 3

Erm..... Do you keep the lights low when fidling with your kit? Sorry, couldn't resist[emoji14]

The senses are heightened when the lights are low :thumb:

• Like 1