NO LONGER AVAILABLE: FS: Harbeth 30.1 Eucalyptus + stands

Item: Harbeth 30.1 in Eucalyptus with matching stands

Price:   Withdrawn -see below

Item Condition: Perfect

Reason for selling:  Need Cashola 

Payment Method: Direct Deposit, Cash. 

Extra Info: I'm annoyed. I have finally found a speaker I am actually happy with. And I don't especially want to sell them. Unfortunately I have had some medical bills crop up unexpectedly at a bad time for me - hence the sale. Oh and I also broke Viognier's KLA record cleaning machine, and of course need to pay for the repairs or (gulp) its replacement: oucha.  

These speakers are very, very reluctantly offered for sale.

These were bought from Krispy only a short time ago - perhaps a month. They are in perfect condition. Not a mark on them.

I absolutely love them. These are , imho, the best speaker Harbeth make save perhaps the 40.2's ( if you have the space for them and deep pockets). They have a top to bottom coherence that is extraordinary. I rate the treble as the best of any Harbeth I have heard. They are also more forward than the other Harbeth's I have owned (which is all of them except the 40.1/40.2). This is a good thing in my book. That said they certainly aren't in your face - you are more in row D than row H with these speakers. The SHL5's & C7 definitely park you in row G and P3esr's you are in row H. Or thereabouts.

I intend to buy another pair when I clear the current hurdle and things settle down again. I have all the original boxes of course and can ship but obviously prefer not to  - preference is given for a local pick up. Shipping will be charged at cost with Couriers Please. 

The 30.1's are simply superb with classical and jazz, particularly if you are limited in the size of your listening space. Frankly I cannot think of a better speaker for $6500 new (with stands) if you love classical & jazz. 

One chief advantage to me of the 30.1's  is that they excel at low level listening - there is no need to turn up the wick to get all the detail and resolution. And,like all Harbeth's, the 30.1's are easy to drive: that is they sound great with modest amplification. No need to buy a Diablo 300 to make these sound wonderful. My amplifier preference for Harbeth's is solid state, but tubes work just as well. I like a fair amount of current with Harbeth's to control the 8 inch woofer. I love my Luxman 507ux with them. A marriage made in heaven. 

In the photos you will see that I have mounted my Harbeths on Stillpoint Mini's to tighten the bass and help with articulation and resolution. Like everything it is a trade off - you lose some bass weight but in my very "live" room that is a good thing, as what you gain is a much higher degree of resolution and articulation in consequence. The Stillpoints aren't essential but in my view are a very good idea. Especially if you have a decent front end. 

The Stillpoints are NOT included in the list price. I can sell 2 sets of 4 Mini's with the speakers for and additional $1000, but I would prefer not to. I want to use them under my deck. Krispy can sell you some in any event. They are excellent.

Anyway my loss your gain and all that. C'est la vie. 

Please - I'm not a hi fi shop - so no audition is going to happen.  I need cash so no trade ins. Sorry. And please no "I'llgiveya$3kcashtodaymaaate" type PM's. They will be ignored. At best. Price is firm. 

Pictures: 

Edited by Tom.Stopforth
  • Like 2

Thanks guys. No biggie - just some surgery on the waterworks. You know it is never a good day out when a doctor says "drop everything from the waist down and bring your knees up to your chest" dons a rubber glove and waves around something hard and plastic. If you are thinking it can't end well - you are right - it doesn't. 

Anywho - apparently I am so genetically gifted I have the problems that usually beset 80 year olds at 51. Yippee. Given I may not unreasonably be expected to live a few more years yet I have decided to do something about it. Purely elective of course. 

I have a strict rule with health professionals - I find the best person I can, I pay them whatever they want, and don't quibble about their recommended course of treatment. Although I am sure the latter coincides on occasion with paying off their hobby farm, yacht or whatever it is they indulge themselves with. But I'm not going to second guess them. 

The estimate I got today was a little bit more than I was expecting. But hey - you pays you gets. It has just come at a bad time cashflow wise is all. In truth if they don't sell I will be secretly glad. They are superb speakers. I'm sure the usury CC company would be only too happy to have my business, in the alternative. And yes, I am losing more by selling than the CC company would charge me over the course of a year, but I hate debt, and I hate CC companies even more than I hate debt. Which is a lot. 

@@doogie44 - David - today I went through the records I collected off you and did a first cull. I am sad to say the  set of Bach Cantata's won't find space in my collection - mainly because I just don't have the space. In the course of that venture I had a great opportunity to look in some detail at the records I got off you - my word there are some fine LPs there: some very valuable ones as well  - I shall enjoy very much discovering them in due course. They remain in storage as I dare not bring them into the apartment until I have somewhere to put them. In any event thank you so much for the collection - remarkable our musical interests so coincide. 

Cheers

Edited by Andrew S.
  • Like 3

Good luck with your recovery mate. 

Hurts like buggery apparently. I imagine all the young ewes in the paddock will be safe from my attentions for quite some time.

• Like 5

I must confess that I have never heard a Harbeth speaker.

I have and still am following your journey and for you to have these speakers and not wishing to sell them says a lot.

All the best with your journey.

I have paid about $20k on medical expenses the last two moths with more to come. I share your pain. but we have to do what we have to do. 

We can always buy things in future.

GLWTS

• Like 2

Best wishes for a successful  procedure and full recovery Andrew. As others have said gear comes and goes but we need to be around to hear it :)

Good to know you are in good hands. :thumb:

WRT the speakers, I have also not yet heard any Harbeths. Would you say they are a good all rounder for a wide variety of music? I like neutrality with a touch of humanity and attitude when required..... if that makes sense

I totally agree with Andrew regarding the Harbeths

Love my SHL5plus with the Luxman 507... Great combination.

Over come your hurdle Andrew and get back to enjoying audio. That's the best recovery I know off for myself.

• Like 1

Best wishes for a successful procedure and full recovery Andrew. As others have said gear comes and goes but we need to be around to hear it :)

Good to know you are in good hands. :thumb:

WRT the speakers, I have also not yet heard any Harbeths. Would you say they are a good all rounder for a wide variety of music? I like neutrality with a touch of humanity and attitude when required..... if that makes sense

For me they are a good all rounder with a wide range of music in my vinyl collection, from Bach cello to Megadeath. :) But others my not agree. They are not fatiguing and I can listen for long periods of time...best to try to hear a pair... Edited by Kensell21
  • Like 1

Thanks guys- you are all being very kind. 

Its not a big deal. Very routine procedure. Just a few days of discomfort and I'll be bounding around good as new, but without having to get up to pee 4+ times a night (which I have been doing as long as I can remember - apparently this isn't normal - who knew?). 

Well Johannes it isn't 20k mate. Thank God. Its actually not that expensive - just coincides with a whole bunch of other stuff going on which means the cupboard is looking a little bare. I'm just trying to get a few things squared away before a change in life direction. No biggie. 

My preferences in listening to music is classical and jazz, and they are ideally suited to those genres. That said of all the Harbeth's my view is the 30.1's are the most suited to being a general purpose speaker - they are the most accurate and the most linear. I was playing London Grammar this afternoon and they sounded wonderful with that music. 

Like all Harbeths they are the antithesis of eg a Lenehan monitor. They have a large warm sound. Incorrectly set up they can sound slugglish: the 30.1's less so than eg the 5's - where if you set them incorrectly to the front wall they bleed their bass into the mids and bugger that up. 

I've owned alot of speakers over the years, and I really rate these. It is the coherence and micro dynamic ability which I really value in them. Oh and they make instruments sound like instruments. I wouldn't buy them if you have a heavy diet of eg Death Metal (although I am sure someone somewhere has).

Edit: bloody hell - Kensell plays Megadeath on his 5's. There you go!

Edited by Andrew S.
  • Like 3

I agree but no chance of doing that in Adelaide

The 30.1's are a little rare anyway. They are where most people on the Harbeth train end up - either that or 3's (much underrated speaker that). Or the 5's. I have had both the 30.1's and the 5's and I prefer the extra linearity and accuracy of the 30.1's, and the drier bass. But that is me. I think of the 30.1's like a bigger P3, but with better treble. 

Edit: very generous Kensell  :thumb:

Edited by Andrew S.

Don't want to intrude too much in a for sale add but to help any possible buyers... My question to Alan Shaw, designer and owner of Harbeths...

.... So are the sonic differences between the C7ES3 and the Monitor 30.1 slight? I assuming that have the signature sound but with different flavours..

Thanks so far for the replys to my queries...

"That's a good summary. Thy can't logically be miles apart because they are using similar parts in broadly similar box sizes, crucially designed by one person (me). However, they do represent products developed at fifteen + years apart which may or may not be significant (I can't really decide).

They go as loud as most Hi-Fi speakers. It's a common question from potential Harbeth customers - "will they go loud ?" Well, they will and louder than some which are renowned for bass and volume, as I often demonstrate.

The SHL5 is a much bigger box. So perhaps the next step is to decide if domestically (I mean, cosmetically and WAF) there is room for it. The SHL5 is the most involving in bigger rooms with it's warm balance and 'wrap around' sound-field." End of quote....

Since then there have been some model upgrades.. I went from the SHL5 to the plus version. IMHO they sound closer to the 40.1 which I had heard previously..

Edited by Kensell21

Hi Kensell - thanks for the input mate.

Having owned the 7's and the 30.1's I wouldn't describe the differences as slight. I know Alan Shaw tends to play down the differences between his models. 

I think the 30.1's are far more linear than the 7's, and sounds alot more accurate IMO. The tweeter of the 30.1 is all over the 7, IMHO, and the bass drier and less full, which I prefer.