Technics SL1200 mkii

Mintt

Technics SL1200 mkii

"If I have been able to see further, it was only because I stood on the shoulders of giants." from Newton.

I am relatively new to audio stuff, and would like to gain some precious knowledge and experience from our kind audiophile gentlemen from SNL.

Here are my questions about the turntable:

1. I have a Yamaha AS2000, and there is a build in phono mm/ms stage, would that be sufficient to drive this baby?

2. If Ans for Q1 is negative, what phono pre-amp would you recommend? Budget within $2k

3. What cartridge mm/mc would you recommend? Budget within $1k

4. I heard lot of people talking about this turntable, mainly DJs, how would this compare to modern turntable, etc, Rega RP6 and above or Pro-ject 6 and above? Mainly looking at possible upgrading down the track.

Thanks in advance.

post-154516-0-10076400-1459308259_thumb.

post-154516-0-78472300-1459308287_thumb.

post-154516-0-41228100-1459308323_thumb.

post-154516-0-41577200-1459308357_thumb.

The phono stage on the Yamaha will be fine.

The great thing about the SL1200 you can do all sorts of reversible mods

Biggest upgrade I made on my SL1200 was replacing the arm with a modded Rega RB250. The original arm isn't great and can be easily removed, plenty of choices for replacement (Rega, Jelco, SME) as there are a number of after market arm boards available which are made for specific arms that slot right in.

Next biggest was replacing the feet with squash balls, just unscrew the feet, place the balls under the table where the feet would have been. No need to worry about the balls rolling around as the weight of the table flattens them quite a bit

Not sure about how it would stand up against an RP6, but for the money they are hard to beat

• Like 1

Hi 

There is a dedicated tread on this forum that is now at page three ,for the SL 1200 http://www.stereo.net.au/forums/index.php/topic/96238-technics-sl-1200-thread/

I have a Yamaha AS2000, and there is a build in phono mm/ms stage, would that be sufficient to drive this baby?

This amp should be fine.

You are correct that the SL1200 is mainly a DJ Table and it is very different to the  Rega RP6 and above or Pro-ject 6.

The SL1200 hold their price extremely well  and one in the condition pictured is probably worth around $800

Edited by EVcali
  • Like 2

I have a Technics and I suggest you keep the arm, its very good with bearings tolerances as good if not better than the Rega.  Based on my experience I would do the following:

1. Order a KAB tonearm damper, you can hear the difference with this mod

2. Lubricate the spindle using oil you can order from KAB and put a bit of bluetack at the bottom of the bearing housing or buy the KAB wax for this purpose.

3. Stick on a Funk Firm Achromat to replace the stock mat

4. Install a Supreme headshell, I also think its the same as the Jelco one

5. Install an Audo Technica AT 440 MLA or MLB MM cart, or for a slightly warmer sound order an AT100E MM cart and a 440 microline stylus

6. Order a MINT LP protractor for a Technics, so when you install the cart you have it perfectly aligned.  If you don't do this you are wasting money as you won't get good sound.

7. Order a cheap record cleaning machine, for me I use a KAB EV1 and the Disc Doctor record cleaning fluids.  You should clean your records even new ones, you will be surprised at the difference it makes.

8. Get hold of decent record weight/clamp, I have found the STB9000 to work very well and it is not insanely priced like some other products

9. Use a Milty Zeostat gun for dealing with static build up on your records 

10. Use a good quality carbon fibre brush

11. Get hold of some Audio Technical stylus cleaning fluid

Have fun with your table, set up right a Techie can sound amazing.

Edited by nkoulban
  • Like 2
Guest rmpfyf

Whats he going to do with the other $700?

Vinyl ain't cheap now is it :)

(Admittedly I have the Zupreme headshell, and it works well... still not $700!)

More seriously? Spend cash and put together a good cleaner. Some people on SNA have posted photos of their home-brew ultrasonic rigs, pretty cool stuff. 

• Recently Browsing   0 members

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Similar Content

• By Vintage_Hi_Fi
      Item Condition: Used Shipping Options: Pickup available but audition is not available.,Pickup available and you can audition. Suburb or Town: Preston State: VIC Payment Method: Cash Reason for selling: NLR Marantz 6270Q direct drive turntable

Excellent cosmetic condition
      Made in Japan

Quartz lock direct drive
      240v Australian delivered model

Fitted with a quality Shure M91ED cartridge with brand new stylus

Original manual included

Second owner smoke free and pet free home

Works perfectly holds correct speed and has been recapped

Plays 33 and 45s
      Includes 45 adaptor

Semi auto or manual mode

pick up only 

• By hugo_wilco
      Item Condition: Excellent Shipping Options: Pickup available but audition is not available.,Shipping is available at agreed cost. Suburb or Town: Melbourne State: VIC Payment Method: Cash EFT Reason for selling: Funds Further information: Less than one  year old. Probably the best TT under $10k. Have all boxes etc. Cartridge not included. Cartridge is  a brand new Hana EL send me a Pm if interested. 

Photos:

• By Oz Vinyljunkie
      Item Condition: Used but beautiful Shipping Options: Pickup available but audition is not available.,Shipping is available at agreed cost. Suburb or Town: Ocean Shores State: NSW Payment Method: Paypal EFT Reason for selling: Surplus Thorens TD2030 Turntable with Dynavector DV 20X MC cartridge fitted. Comes with Thorens MM005 phonostage and PS800 power supply. Beautiful Blue acrylic base. Comes in original box with all bits included. Beautiful deck. Picked up with large classical record collection and is surplus to my requirements.  

The TD 2030 comes with a Thorens TP 300 tonearm utilizing a VTA adjustable mount.

Specifications:

Drive System: Thorens belt drive
          Motor: fully electronically-regulated AC-Synchronous motor
          Speed: 33, 45 RPM
          Speed Select: electronically
          Platter: 300 mm/6.3 kg, non-magnetic
          Tonearm: Thorens TP 300 with VTA adjuster
          Antiskating: magnetic
          Switch-Off: none
          Capacity of signal leads: 120 pF
          Power Supply: electronically-regulated power supply for AC motor
          Dimensions (WxDxH): 420 x 330 x 175 mm
          Weight: 15.5 kg
          Colors: blue acrylic

• By Claudiones De Bologna
      Item Condition: Used in exc condition Shipping Options: Pickup available but audition is not available. Suburb or Town: Coburg North State: VIC Payment Method: Cash on Pickup Reason for selling: Upgrading Further information: classic UK made turntable, new belt, arm clip is partially broken, not really an issue, plays great. Cash on pickup from Coburg North 

Photos:

PLEASE READ
      If you include any reference to pricing whatsoever in this section (excluding RRP), your ad will not be approved If you are advertising multiple items, you must post one bulk price only, or post seperate ads for each item If you don't include photographs of the actual item being sold, your ad will not be approved You understand that upon successful sale of your item it is expected you pay Seller's Fees.
      - if you have previously sold items and not made a contribution, your advertisement may not be approved.

• By Andrei.s
      Item Condition: Excellent Shipping Options: Shipping is included in price. Suburb or Town: kogarah State: NSW Payment Method: Paypal, EFT Reason for selling: NLR Further information:
       Here is medium effective mass arm used a good deal to enter into the mono for me. 
      Excellent build quality and ease of set-up. Cleaning up the vault.
      thanks 

escription
      To make reliable tracing possible at a low stylus pressure under 1g the inside force cancel is needed.
      This new system used in the GST-1 stabilised the cancel by making use of the magnetic repulsion skilfully without giving any mechanic friction resistance over all and also without injuring the rotating function of the tonearm, having relation either with the temperature change nor the alternation by years.
      To make an accurate tracing whenever you change the cartridge, you have to change the arm height.
      Our GST-1 is equipped, with the height adjustment lever of the arm base, which can easily adjust accurately within 10mm height (1mm step measure).
      Specifications
      Effective length: 237mm
      Overhang: 15mm
      Height adjustment: 10mm

will pay the donation 

Photos:

PLEASE READ
      If you include any reference to pricing whatsoever in this section (excluding RRP), your ad will not be approved If you are advertising multiple items, you must post one bulk price only, or post seperate ads for each item If you don't include photographs of the actual item being sold, your ad will not be approved You understand that upon successful sale of your item it is expected you pay Seller's Fees.
      - if you have previously sold items and not made a contribution, your advertisement may not be approved.

To Top