Getting into vinyl

Kelvin Goh

Hi guys,

Thinking of getting a turntable as a birthday present for myself. This would be my first time purchasing a turntable and getting into vinyl. Since I'm new to this, don't want to spend too much, my budget would be around ($200-$250). Did some searching on Gumtree and found the following ads around me. For a beginner and to keep me interested with vinyl, what would you suggest be a good buy and what should I be looking for? I already have a Marantz SR6006 which has a Phono input, and a pair of Richter Wizards MK4 speakers. Apologies if the list below is too long, just want to cover all the potentials if possible. Thank you in advance for all the great advice.

Vintage Marantz Turntable Belt Drive Full auto $100
Pioneer Vintage stereo Turntable $120
Vintage Marantz Turntable $250
Vintage Akai Turntable $225
Sansui FR-1080 stereo auto return turntable $140
SL 3200 Technics Direct Drive Turntable Automatic (price not known yet)
THORENS TD-190 IN BOX WITH COVER AND INSTRUCTIONS - JUST SERVICED $325.00
TECHNICS SL-1300 FULLY AUTOMATIC TURNTABLE $250.00
Edited by ExCaLiBur9

I would suggest you don't get into LPs, Kelvin, until you can afford to spend a lot more money.

Don't forget that a device to play records consists of:

• the turntable itself
  • an arm
  • and a cartridge

You've recognised that you have a phono stage - so that is one purchase not required straight off - but what condition are the cartridges in, for those ads you saw?  You might play $120 and find that the cart (stylus in particular) is shot ... and that's how you ruin LPs by playing them with a worn stylus! :(

For those of us that started spinning vinyl in the last century - and who have hundreds, if not thousands, of LPs - it's a valid addiction to have.  Typically, over the decades we will have built up a fine record playing system - so vinyl sounds superb - but remember, there is a lot of 'fiddling' required, to get it to sound good.  And cleaning the LPs is only the start! :ohmy:

But for someone with nothing, starting now is not a sensible option IMO.  The world is going streaming - so you don't even have to buy - and store - physical media ... it's just bits on a computer disk.  No fuss, no maintenance - you just hit 'Play'! :D

Good luck, anyway - whatever path you decide to go down.

Andy

PS:  Oh and btw - 'automatic' TTs are a nono, these days. :D

Edited by andyr
  • Like 6

The Sansui FR-1080 stereo auto return turntable $140 is quite nice. And IMO would equal the Project. You may have to add a Ortfon om10  cart for $50

This one is ok to Vintage Akai Turntable $225   http://www.gumtree.c...adId=1107372499    Different to the Sansui that is suspended ,belt drive , Akai is direct drive. I note the seller has a number of TT for sale   

Don't be put off by Andy and go for it 

Edited by EVcali
  • Like 2

First off - ignore Andy - he's forgotten how to enjoy the simple things in life !

Vinyl can be great fun at the intro level and very rewarding. 

That said - you really get alot more TT if you can move up to the  $400 to $550 mark ( looking on Ebay there's some nice TT's in that range)

Among the ones you list Thorens looks good and the Technics 1300.

• Like 1

I think that the Thorens looks in pretty good nick. Probably a good idea to ask for an audition before buying though. Even if the stylus is knackered you could put a new Audio Technica AT95E on it. They're only $59 and sound excellent. Building up a collection slowly buying two or three records a month isn't that much of a drain on the finances. I say go for it!

• Like 1

I'm sort of in andyr's camp.

And I'm a vinyl addict (8? TT's at last count).

But for someone starting out with no vinyl, all I can say is good luck. The media is expensive (even secondhand stuff nowadays) cf cds/digital downloads/streaming, and unless you are willing to spend more, the SQ will not be as good.

So be prepared is all I say.

Otherwise the Thorens and the 1300 are the ones I'd go for if you insisted on carrying on with this mad obsession! ;)  

• Like 3

Hi guys,

Thinking of getting a turntable as a birthday present for myself. This would be my first time purchasing a turntable and getting into vinyl. Since I'm new to this, don't want to spend too much, my budget would be around ($200-$250). Did some searching on Gumtree and found the following ads around me. For a beginner and to keep me interested with vinyl, what would you suggest be a good buy and what should I be looking for? I already have a Marantz SR6006 which has a Phono input, and a pair of Richter Wizards MK4 speakers. Apologies if the list below is too long, just want to cover all the potentials if possible. Thank you in advance for all the great advice.

So far there has been a good mix of advise.

However, the question needs to be asked.

Why do you want to get into vinyl?

(don't get me wrong, I prefer vinyl)

By answering this I think members will be able to give you better advise.

Don't take any notice of the doomsayers...

Yes, vinyl is fussy, expensive (but not always) and addictive but what they don't mention is that is also hugely satisfying when it goes right. If you feel you'd like to jump in, then do it and have fun. It doesn't take much effort to press a button and stream music but...where's the fun in that?

It is wonderful to have my music available to me at the touch of my iphone, streamed from my hard drive into my system which is all I can do now that I don't have a turntable but you know? It is grey and dull... It just seems a little soulless and without the ability to play my records, I feel less connected to my music...

The world is going streaming apparently, it is also making Adele the highest selling artist.... so much for trends...pay no attention to trends, follow you heart and your gut.

Enjoy

• Like 4
Guest Hensa

I agree with the good Uncle Mack! You can give yourself a decent introduction to vinyl on a low budget. Sure, it won't be as good as a $500 to $1000 deck, but you'll certainly get a feel for the medium.

I spent a bit of time with the Sansui FR-1080 and it's a nice budget spinner and with an OM-10 or AT-95E cart, produces good sound. For $140, that would be hard to beat as a starter deck. Order a new belt and cartridge, clean out the bearing oil and add new oil and you're away for under $200. Plenty of time to invest in more refined gear once you've decided you've got the vinyl bug more seriously.

The other decks that look good from your list would be the Akai and the SL-1300. Both will be good solid decks assuming they're in good condition.

Wow guys I am overwhelmed with all the suggestions, words of encouragement and discouragement that has been shared here. Andy your years of wisdom and experience is truly remarkable and appreciated. You have been through this journey yourself eons ago and I am sure if you had to do this all over again, you would have chosen the same path, albeit lesser mistakes on purchasing equipment that didn't suit your taste. Thank you mloutfie, EVcali, Chill3, Chigurh, Citroen, spin33, uncleMack and Hensa for your suggestions and advices too.

Why do I want to get into vinyl? That I think is the right question. I appreciate and admire good sounds. Being born in the 80s I have been exposed to cassettes, CDs, and when the Internet came about, MP3s. Never had the opportunity to listen to vinyl. I have always had the impression that the natural way forward and for ultimately the best listening experience starts with vinyl. Digital music is best when you are out and about, but when you are sitting down in your own lounge, enjoying the little pleasures of life, vinyl should also be present with all that. I think it's more of the experience of and listening to vinyl which has a smooth and easy feeling. Not sure how to describe it. It's strange that even though I have not listened to vinyl myself, the difference between digital music and vinyl is like the difference in feeling metal and wood through your fingers. Well that's my perception of how the experience would be. Which is why I want to start easy and slowly build up as I learn to experience this more.

Anyway I have put an offer on the Thorens, hope it goes through this weekend and I can start my journey through vinyl. Wish me luck! And thanks again for all the comments guys, truly appreciated. Will keep this thread updated.

• Like 7

That said - you really get alot more TT if you can move up to the  $400 to $550 mark ( looking on Ebay there's some nice TT's in that range)

Any recommendations in eBay that you found in that range Chill3? Thanks mate!

You have entered tragic corner my friend. The guys that post here might range from dudes that drive a 10 year old commodore so they can afford to buy their cartridge of choice, to guys that have spent years designing the ultimate tone arm to blokes that don't have time to pick up their new Porsche as they are too busy travelling to make business deals and have $100 K speakers in their beach house.

......and you want advice in a $200 turntable so you can experience vinyl. You can see how you might get disparate advice.

vinyl is many things....

- cheap if you know the right op shop and have broad taste in music

- expensive if you want new clean and pristine or rare vinyl

- it's turntables that play fast, that don't track the groove well, that gouge and damage you expensive purchases

- it snap crackle pop and a dull sound

- it's getting up every 15 minutes because they insist on putting 2 songs on a side of 45rpm multi disk releases.

- it's the physical interaction with your music

- it's ritual

- it's your music deteriorating with every play. When I had my first turntable ( a Rotel, which I still have under the house) I taped the records so that I didn't wear them out playing them

- it's the joy of a collection that grows little by little

- it's dealing with a precision mechanical instrument.....which typically is not available for 200 dollars. That's less then the price of my first Rotel plastic bodied turntable 40 years ago. Remember, buy something like a 10 year old Rega and you will sell it for what you paid provided you don't pay too much.

What experience were you looking for?

I would get a simple to set up Rega rp3 from the classifieds here, an integrated with built in phono stage and half decent set of second hand speakers ( if you don't have them already). That way you don't need to be an expert on anything to enjoy your first table, or at least to give it a decent shot.

• Like 5

You have entered tragic corner my friend. The guys that post here might range from dudes that drive a 10 year old commodore so they can afford to buy their cartridge of choice, to guys that have spent years designing the ultimate tone arm to blokes that don't have time to pick up their new Porsche as they are too busy travelling to make business deals and have $100 K speakers in their beach house.

......and you want advice in a $200 turntable so you can experience vinyl. You can see how you might get disparate advice.

vinyl is many things....

- cheap if you know the right op shop and have broad taste in music

- expensive if you want new clean and pristine or rare vinyl

- it's turntables that play fast, that don't track the groove well, that gouge and damage you expensive purchases

- it snap crackle pop and a dull sound

- it's getting up every 15 minutes because they insist on putting 2 songs on a side of 45rpm multi disk releases.

- it's the physical interaction with your music

- it's ritual

- it's your music deteriorating with every play. When I had my first turntable ( a Rotel, which I still have under the house) I taped the records so that I didn't wear them out playing them

- it's the joy of a collection that grows little by little

- it's dealing with a precision mechanical instrument.....which typically is not available for 200 dollars. That's less then the price of my first Rotel plastic bodied turntable 40 years ago. Remember, buy something like a 10 year old Rega and you will sell it for what you paid provided you don't pay too much.

What experience were you looking for?

I would get a simple to set up Rega rp3 from the classifieds here, an integrated with built in phono stage and half decent set of second hand speakers ( if you don't have them already). That way you don't need to be an expert on anything to enjoy your first table, or at least to give it a decent shot.

O Dear

What's with all the negitive cynics jumping on this thread ! The new wave of vinyl snobs

Literally millions of people enjoyed the hell out of vinyl for years, many dreamed of owing a TT as good as some mentioned hear.

The joy of vinyl is not limited to the high end

And I do not resemble any of your discriptions above

• Like 1

TECHNICS SL-1300 FULLY AUTOMATIC TURNTABLE $250.00

One vote for the Technics SL1300 here. Its a solid TT - very similar to the SL1200 but aimed at the home market. Assuming it works well it, and given current prices, it should keep its value, so a great way to try out vinyl. I had one of these TTs years ago - in some ways it was better than the Thorens TD 166 I had at the time.

@@Briz Vegas suggestion of a Rega also makes sense - the resale value will be good if you decide to sell.  

While I don't really agree with @@andyr (there is no reason why you can't dip your toe in if you want to, even on a limited budget) it is probably worth noting that it really isn't an ideal time to get into vinyl - second hand records themselves have become more expensive particularly for good clean pressings;  new pressings are also pricey and mixed in quality, and many are pressed from digital masters (so why not just get the digital file instead?); and getting very good sound quality from vinyl is a lot more expensive and difficult than it is to get decent sound from digital.

Hi ExCaLiBur9

Best wishes on your birthday!

You are obviously serious about getting into vinyl...good on you.

I have 6 or so turntables here (fully serviced and set up) in your price range..........hobby out of control.

NAD 5120  round arm

NAD 5120 flat arm

Dual 505

Dual 1229 (go the retro, yeah)

AWA SP11

Technics SL-B2

and a few others almost finished.

If you want an education on different sounding turntables, bring your amplifier, and possibly your speakers to my place in Bilpin and we can run 6 or more turntables through it to see which is best suited.

You can then compare them to a Linn SonDek TT and Martin Logans to show you what all the fuss is about with higher end equipment.

This a no pressure to buy offer, I just like to see people getting into this great musical medium..

Cheers

Paul

• Like 6

Definitely give it a try. I dipped my toe in with a new Sherwood belt drive about 3 years ago. Incidentally I discovered the joys of valve audio at the same time. Now I'm about 9 tables on and have two I run regularly, and each system sound completely different. I can experience the same record in two different ways, and then there's cart and valve changes. Just make sure you get a table which takes a universal head shell. Any half decent table it's a good starting point. It will never be your final table, the journey is part of the fun :)

Sent from my HUAWEI MT7-L09 using Tapatalk

Edited by MattyW
Guest jakeyb77

Go for it... To say you've missed the boat is ludicrous.  That's like saying to someone don't get into guitar you'll never afford a '59 Les Paul or a '54 Strat.  Some people are more than happy jamming on a Squire or an Epiphone.  I started vinyl again in 2013.  I have a Thorens TD160 that's mint ($500) a few MM carts (2M Red $100, Shure VST $100, AT95E $50) an ME 25 Pre ($800).  Not a lot of money over 3 years.  Also managed to accumulate nearly 1000 LP's in this time.  About 50 brand new and the rest from digging, gifts from relies who didn't want them any more and I bought a couple of collections from those jumping the vinyl ship.   Heaps of fun to be had and if you buy correctly and change your mind then you'll most likely get your money back..... win/win.

Do it!

I grabbed a good condition JVC JL-A1 on ebay for $120 early this year.

Then I got an OM10 cartridge... then a Rega phono stage.

I'm up to about 20 records now and I'm really enjoying it. I spent easter monday listening to records!

I've said this to a few different friends when they ask about vinyl.

Does it sound better? Not really at my price range... Slightly better, but not dramatically. But there is something appealing about the theatrics of 'putting a record on' and the inability to 'skip' 'pause' and 'rewind'.

After getting up off the lounge and putting a record on, you feel obligated to sit and listen to it and pay more attention to it than you otherwise would if you just pressed an iButton.

Get the Technics one.  It's DD and auto which means that once you have ensured the cartridge and stylus are okay or changed to something newer, the setup for weight, anti-skate etc is correct, the ups will love it as these things lower the arm gently.  The motor is generally bulletproof.

Don't for one moment believe the nonsense about auto vs manual arm start and end.  After all Dual staked their reputation on auto TTs for decades.

• Like 1