Another AU-999 restoration

I've just finished a recap (including the mandatory 'kevzep' preamp gain tweaks) of a near-mint AU-999 for a fellow SNAer. This is the finest example that I've had the pleasure of seeing in the flesh. The overall condition is just fantastic!

The usual suspects were used here - Nichicon Super Through filter caps, Nichicon HE and Panasonic FC, Elna Silmic II, a handful of EPCOS stacked film caps, some NOS polyprops, new transistors and resistors etc.

au999caps_zps3f81c2d9.jpg

Some of the surplus/replaced components, including the crowbar protection circuit and the subsonic filters:

au999caos_zps63e5f0c2.jpg

au999superthrough_zps6f1ed2fc.jpg

The DC offset was rather high beforehand:

au999dcoffsetbefore_zps0b74ad0e.jpg

Muuuch better:

au999dcoffsetafter_zps222bbf46.jpg

The owner said that the amp sounded fairly horrid beforehand - there was bugger-all bias current! One channel was 2mv and the other 0.9mv. After adjustments were made, a nice stable 13.8mV was achieved for each channel when measured across the emitter resistor.

au999biasafter_zps250b7980.jpg

The underside when completed (still a bit of a birds-nest of wiring, but cleaner with the removal of the subsonic filter and crowbar protection circuits):

au999underside_zps96ab3add.jpg

au999underside2_zps4ec88526.jpg

• Like 1

The finished product - so clean that you could eat off it! :)

au999finished1_zps20002910.jpg

au999finished2_zps1207579c.jpg

au999finished7_zps250b003a.jpg

au999finished8_zps03f0f1c9.jpg

au999finished3_zps470899ed.jpg

au999finished4_zpsfcdface9.jpg

au999finished6_zpsff18de57.jpg

au999finished5_zps53bc31ed.jpg

au999finished10_zps1fed7c03.jpg

au999finished9_zpsa6fe1e9c.jpg

Best of all, she sounds wonderful. The preamp and subsonic filter mods turn this amp into something special - once again I am impressed with the sound quality! I hope the owner enjoys it for years to come!

• Like 6

Great stuff. I wonder how much fabulous Vintage gear ended up as landfill before people realised their potential after some tweaking and TLC? .

Once again a mighty effort and I am sure the new owner will be very happy :)

So, so true! There are some vintage turds, of course, but there are also a great many amps worth restoring.

Pete

I'm just in awe at the skills you and your father have in this element. The Sansui amps I've heard after you have both put your stamp on them is just awesome and I can't wait to get another (that I will keep this time).

John

• Like 1

Wow and quadruple wow!  Hang on, let me channel my 17 and half year old doppelganger ...OMFG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gee I'm glad I'm not 17.5 anymore.

Spanking looking unit Pete, I got one of these from Italy(yes I took the gamble) and was mulling over sending it down to the Grand Poobah but the original owner contacted me and pleaded in his best Italo/English to buy it back and cut a long story short...I sent it back with costs amply covered and a promise of some genuine Chianti.

He sent me a six pack and a note saying fat bottomed Chianti in straw bottoms are for tourists, mine looked like Dan Murphy cleanskins.

We're very lucky to have you two here at SNA.

*Yes I'm still sworn off buying anymore Sansui's ...ever!  The drugs work.

Wow and quadruple wow!  Hang on, let me channel my 17 and half year old doppelganger ...OMFG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gee I'm glad I'm not 17.5 anymore.

Spanking looking unit Pete, I got one of these from Italy(yes I took the gamble) and was mulling over sending it down to the Grand Poobah but the original owner contacted me and pleaded in his best Italo/English to buy it back and cut a long story short...I sent it back with costs amply covered and a promise of some genuine Chianti.

He sent me a six pack and a note saying fat bottomed Chianti in straw bottoms are for tourists, mine looked like Dan Murphy cleanskins.

We're very lucky to have you two here at SNA.

*Yes I'm still sworn off buying anymore Sansui's ...ever!  The drugs work.

You sent it back? Sacre bleu

Not sure of the protocol in this situation, but I’m the anonymous owner J It was great to meet you in person today Pete and thanks for the great job on the amp. It sounds wonderful now. Smooth and rich and the bass is improved dramatically.  A great addition to the collection. Here is a picture of it in its new home. I’m enjoying the amp, a few LPs and glass of wine.

post-139384-0-74145600-1417858178_thumb.

• Like 4

Not sure of the protocol in this situation, but I’m the anonymous owner J It was great to meet you in person today Pete and thanks for the great job on the amp. It sounds wonderful now. Smooth and rich and the bass is improved dramatically.  A great addition to the collection. Here is a picture of it in its new home. I’m enjoying the amp, a few LPs and glass of wine.

attachicon.gifIMG_1092.JPG

Brilliant... I had a feeling that you'd like it :)

Most importantly... thanks for entrusting this beautiful example of Sansui's finest to me!

• Like 1

You sent it back? Sacre bleu

Yup.

Copped a shellacking from a member here who had one for sale on Ebay and I was away on a fishing trip and the wife was in charge of the bidding and she bid on the member  999 and not the Italian one. I had to back out of the sale on ebay via his personal message and he ended up venting here on SNA about it. I shrugged, I tried to explain.

She wasn't to know but the member here and his ebay name wasn't impressed with my apology(don't think he believed me) think it was sam something or rather.

But the Italian 999 was lovely and unmarked...completely! Could not find a mark on it anywhere and it's one of the reasons you chase European models rather than American or UK or Aus  models. But yeah, he was full of remorse and regret and I connected with that and sent it back to him.

I've drunk the Chianti

I have a place to stay in Trieste apparently if I ever get there ! Lol.

• Like 4